Sunday, March 7, 2010

Hypnotic color-coded cadence syncronizations & the Blue Devil

My 2010 racing season officially got under way, as I saddled up to compete in the Iowa Spring Classic Series #1, which took place near Grinnell, Iowa.  It really did feel good to get out on the roads again after about a 4 month hiatus.

Fifteen people lined up for the Cat 1/2/3 event.   This race was 'presented by Bikes 2 You/World of Bikes' which may have explained why there were 5 or 6 of them lined up with us.  The gravel was very managable, however the course had quite a bit of climbing.  Very early into the race, Andrew Fagersten (B2U/WOB) drifted out creating a sizable gap.  His teamates very methodically defended his move by discouraging the pace.

I popped out in front between the pack and Andrew, thinking that some of the non B2U/WOB guys would be interested in bringing him back before he got too far.  It really was early in the race, not sure anyone believed Andrew could or would try and stick that for the entire race, so I relented. It took awhile for the pack to get up to me, as they were going really slow... Great blocking by Andrew's teammates, but also a very suspicious tactical decision from the rest us. 

During the next lap, I opted to try and eat a Clif Bar. I guess I forgot how hard this can be when the pace is above tempo and cold weather snot is clogging up the nasal passages.  I practically began choking, as the pace was progressively getting quicker. What was going on?  Oh, alas, I saw Paul 'Blue Devil' Denninger attempting to make a 'selection' amongst the chase pack.  If you have never been in a race when he decides to 'take a dig' you are missing out, becuase it really is a great challenge to try and hang-on.  Your reward for hanging on is that you will have greater odds of finishing well, as some riders always fall off.

Oops, I was one of those people who fell off.  I am going to blame that one on the Clif Bar, however.  I put my head down and limited my damages hoping that the Blue Devil (practically everyone was wearing yellow jerseys except for him... BLUE) would let up.  I began cursing his name under my breath, and evoked a religious mantra in hopes of smiting this 'devil'... freeing the rest of us from his sinning.   My prayers were answered...he ultimately eased up, after quite a few miles of pain and suffering... I was back in this now reduced group... "and then there was light".

It became apparent that the B2U/WOB guys were very interested in winning this race with Andrew, and then pulling off a pack sprint for second.  They were racing with good instincts, while the rest of us never got together to try and foil their domination.  Andrew's lead continued to build, as there was never an organized 'chase'. 

A few guys pulled out from time to time, as this race took around 3 hours to complete, quite a long haul.  I believe I was the last one to officially finish.  I was in the remaining group that consisted of 3 B2U/WOB guys and someone from Bike World.  Since I couldn't eat my Clif Bar I tried a GU pack.  I got this one for Christmas, and wouldn't have chosen it for myself, as it was that double expresso kind with 2x caffeine.  Man, when that started to kick in the adrenaline rush sent me shooting through to the front.  Not a good idea, as a few hills later, I lost my legs.  I kept them in my sights, for the most part, but I was toast. 

The B2U/WOB squad has a couple of new riders who seem strong.  It is always exciting to race against them, though I always get spanked... they will attack/counter attack until they get some guys up the road, and then they very cooperatively defend their lead.  Also, they all wear RED shoe covers... very clever, as this makes it hard to focus. I think it creates a sort of subliminal message (you suck... we rock), especially when they start spinning them at 92rpm. In my opinion, hypnotic color-coded cadence syncronizations (HCCCS) should be banned from USAC events. I believe they have established some sort of hand signal that they use to communicate to each other which cadences to apply.   

Fortunately, they didn't pull out the 'Yin-Yeng' HCCCS.  They will wear white shoe covers on one foot, and then black shoe covers on the other foot.. this is next to impossible to combat... avert your eyes, or your leg's will turn to stone (Medusa?)... Combine this tactic with Lee Venteicher's B/W striped knee socks, and other teams in Iowa might as well throw in the towel.  I can't wait until the weather warms up, so we are all safe from this scheme.

Mission accomplished, I got in 50 outdoor miles, and will put this fitness in the bank, to withdrawal later in the season. 

RESULTS - Iowa Spring Classic Series #1
Men P123, 50 Miles 2:57:00

1st - Andrew Fagersten
2nd - Will Greenwood
3rd - Austin Turner
4th - Kevin Temple
5th - Grant Headley
6th - Chad Bishop
7th - Michael Edwards
8th - Paul Denninger
9th - Brad Bach
10th - Gary McNabb
11th - Chris Martin
12th - Lee Venteicher

1 comment:

Doug said...

...do you see conspiracy everywhere???? ...the shoe cover conspiracy... got it...

3 hours to go 50 miles... must have been some monster hills...