Wednesday, August 25, 2010

East Village Criterium 2010


The 2010 edition of the East Village Criterium was held Sunday, August 22nd, on a very hot day with heat indexes around 102 degrees.  I entered the 'main event'... the pro/1/2 race.  About 25 competitors lined up to race 70 minutes for 15 paying spots on a challenging course that is directly in front of our state's capitol building.  There actually was a pro rider who entered the race...hometown hero Nick Frey.  If you follow the link, you will see that he is the real deal. 

The East Village Crit course is a bit like a roller coaster... here the group is coming down off the descent at around 34mph.
This race started out intense and never let up.  There is a two block uphill gradient that really ended up making a big difference, as riders were falling off the pace from time to time, not quite able to hang on.  Of course, the heat made the task of staying with the group just that much more of a challenge.

I really do like races that have hills and lots of heat... I guess I can't say that I "like" them, so much as I have better results in races that capitalize on my strengths while minimizing exposure of my weaknesses.  The course and the weather conditions really suited me. 

I was very active and found myself in the front of the group quite often.  In fact, I ended up winning three primes... This is especially noteworthy because I didn't sprint for any of them, I was just coincidently leading the group often enough that it worked out that way.  Again, the challenges of the course and the weather combined with the strength of the field really kept riders in check.  Sprinting for a prime could have been a death sentence, I don't think anyone wanted to take too many risks. 

I took it upon myself to follow some moves, bring back a break or two, and of course, I sat in quite often as well. Though there really isn't anywhere to hide on this course, so riding within the draft wasn't that big of an advantage.

There were quite a few dangerous moves that got up the road.  It seemed like there was an attack of some sort during almost every lap, especially on the uphill section, as we were basically recovering over the rest of the course... sort of bracing ourselves for the next time up the climb.
Above: Riders hammering it up the steep part of the course led by Brian West and Jared Osterloh.

Somewhere past the halfway point of the race, I noted that there were only about 12 people still in our lead group.  Considering that the race paid back 15 spots, I was starting to get excited about my odds of finishing this race with a successful outcome.  I am still a rookie Cat 2 racer, so I really was thrilled to be competitive against this field.

It became apparent that Nick Frey was a very respected participant in our race.  It seemed like you were in good company if you could stay in his group.  He brought back a couple of breaks and raced very confidently.

Above:  Pro 1/2 participants as they race through Des Moine's East Village.
Toward the latter part of the race, Nick made his move.  His attack was timed to perfection, in such a way that no one could answer.  He didn't get too far ahead, at first, but he inched up his gap lap by lap.  Once Nick was out of sight, a group of two that included Jared Osterloh of Team Zealous attacked and formed their own gap.  I looked back to see a bunch of guys wearing blue (ICCC and Zealous).  This meant that those two were going to be gone unless either Brian West or myself chased them down... nope not going to happen.

So Nick Frey held on for the win with 2nd and 3rd crossing the line shortly after.  Fourth place, however was still up for grabs within the remnants of the field.  I hit the hammer at the bottom of the hill and was pleased with the response from my legs.  I came around the last corner to the short finishing stretch in about the first position.  Two guys were able to come around me, as I believe I passed someone as well.  This gave me the 6th position... not too bad.

Team Janis Sutter Home Pro Nick Frey - Winner of the 2010 East Village Criterium
This was an epic battle fitting to be the last stand of the 2010 Iowa Road Racing season.  Congrats to all that faced up to the challenge and even greater props to those who held on to the end.

Category 1/2 Men (25 Starters)

1 Nick Frey, Jamis-Sutter Home
2 Jared Osterloh, Zealous Racing
3 Jeff Barnes, ICCC
4 Shadd Smith, Mercy Elite Cycling
5 Ryan Nenninger, ICCC
6 Chad Bishop, Harper’s Cycling and Fitness
7 Michael Sencenbaug, Zealous Racing
8 Brian West, Colorbiotics
9 Matias Perret, ICCC
10 Jerome Rewarts, Zealous Racing
11 Adam Price, ICCC
12 Greg Harper, Melon City Bike Club
13 A.J. Turner, Colorbiotics
14 Chris Eastburn, ICCC
15 Derek Cassaday, Workld of Bikes/Bikes to You
16 Tracy Smith, Mesa Cyclers
17 Steve Robinson, Zealous Racing
18 Finn Kolsrud, Colavita Racing
DNF Lane “No Free Lap” Anderson, Zealous Racing

1 comment:

HalfWheeler said...

Nice work Chad. Look like the Cat upgrade was well deserved.