Monday, May 16, 2011

Zealous Road Race - Operation Gutter Ball

I enjoyed a great weekend of racing that began with the 80 mile Zealous Road Race road race on Saturday, near Des Moines, IA. My weekend actually started by enjoying great accomodations provided by Lou and Wendy Waugaman.  They treated me way better than I treat myself, so thanks for their support of bike racing, and for giving me a break from my reluctant frozen burrito bachelor lifestyle.

The weather Saturday was miserable... worst case scenario for me. Team Zealous made the best however, going so far as to actually fill in some of the pot holes by purchasing cold-patch... they put on a great weekend of racing.

American Equity brought a solid squad which included Jeff Bradley, Lou Waugaman, Paul Deninger, JJ Bailey, and myself.  Noting the massive winds, we constructed a covert operation I nicknamed Operation Gutterball.  We agreed to let the race shake out for the first lap and then create a restrictive echelon just before the start/finish area (at the church) during the second lap.

The race started in a crosswind section, so it wasn't particularly easy to stay connected.  Then things slowed down when we turned right into the headwind.  The next turn was the gutterball section, but no worries, because we were going to wait til the second lap to officially execute our tactic, so I didn't feel any sense of urgency.  I felt uncomfortable... the wind was blowing my bike at angle, my mind and body were simply cold. More figuratively, then literally, as I had a lot of gear on. 

Alas, I looked up the road and saw my teammates executing Operation Gutterball a lap earlier then anticipated.  Jeff was signaling for me to get up there but with the massive cross wind, and the echelon already started I was locked out of the move.    They briefly contemplated waiting, but then made the decision to leave me behind.  Sort of like being on a battle field, but instead of "No Man Left Behind", they had to do the opposite, for the sake of winning the battle.

Much like a wounded soldier, I helplessly gazed up the road watching the operation work to perfection.  I couldn't give chase because this would only serve to potentially help bring up the other 8 guys who eventually formed the 2nd group.  With 75 more miles left to race... this was going to be a long, long day.

Actually, there isn't much else to report... as Lou mentioned in his report, the race was over for everyone except for the 8 guys who made the break.  I was already in trouble for not being at the front when the break formed, so didn't want to compound things by doing something selfish.  I will say it is a new experience to be in a chase group, but not helping the cause.  We had three strong guys up the road however, so things were working out well for the team.

I decided to participate in the chase group sprint to finish 10th overall.  The race turned out to be a real highlight for the American Equity squad, as Lou won with Jeff and Paul finishing 3rd and 6th respectively (full results).  I attempted to be happy for the team, but that sentiment wasn't initially welcomed as Lou informed me that I was going to get chewed out for not being up front.  I think everyone ultimately realized, however, that I didn't need any additional punishment above and beyond what I was already giving myself.

It is exciting to be on a team that will hold me accountable for my mistakes.  I have raced so many events by myself, it is nice to take a break from that isolating experience, and have an opportunity to take a team approach to success.

Stay tuned for the State Fair Crit Report.  Results from weekend.

1 comment:

john said...

Good to hear about your race and the teams and you thoughts the team approach to success.
Eager to hear about the Crit. Missed the last half, but what I saw was a real wild affair. I thought this might be your race???
John