Tuesday, September 13, 2011

CROSS DRESSING

Yep, time to outfit my cyclocross bike.
Ok, first read the post below... then enjoy the fact that I have already relapsed from my plan to remain uncompetitive.  All it took was an announcement on BikeIowa Yahoo Groups about an upcoming cross race to trigger my addiction. 

Ask me three weeks ago, and I would have told you I wasn't going to do any cross racing this year... but then I had a few minutes of boredom... I couldn't bare that lonely, uncomfortable feeling... the solution... occupy my brain with another challenge... racing a bike without a road underneath... crap, I promised myself I wouldn't spend any more money on racing this season... I lied. I am always amazed at how many different ways I can find to spend money on bike racing.

My big revalation, is that my 28 mm wide cross tires were making a bad situation even worse... mainly with respect to comfort and handling. I even heard that there is a UCI rule against racing cross with tires that narrow. Anyway, I bought some Bontrager XO 38mm wide tires...I can't believe how big they are...almost look like mountain bike tires... I am expecting to have a much better experience as I traverse the bumpy terrains of Iowa's natural resources... maybe not, but the diversion will buy me a couple more months of bike fitness.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

So you'll be at the cross race on Saturday?

Chad Bishop said...

Not sure which ones I will end up racing... thinking mostly of the more 'local' events... Burlington, Iowa City & Bettendorf... maybe capital city and spooky cross... maybe none of the above... Have a good season!