Thursday, May 17, 2012

Breeder's Hill Criterium


The field was strung out during the descending portions of the course... trying to brace for Breeder's Hill.
I traveled up to the Iowa State Fair Grounds in Des Moines, Iowa Sunday to compete in the 2012 Breeder's Hill Criterium.  I have entered this race the last couple of years (formerly called the Iowa State Fair Crit) and always had success.  I won the Cat 3 event in 2010, and managed to get 4th in the Cat 1,2,3 event in 2012.  I wasn't as optimistic this year, but I really wanted to enter this race as a way to stay in contact with the sport, while helping me to get back on track.

I like this race because it is essentially a series of hill repeats.  You have to carve out a nice line during the corners, but the race basically comes down to hanging on up Breeder's Hill, then recovering quickly. Those with optimum power-to-weight ratios and cardio-respiratory fitness will have a definite advantage.

The race started and finished on top of the hill this year.  I liked the idea of the way this would shape the finish, but had to first determine what this meant for the start. I lined up with 35 other guys, deciding to really hit it hard down the hill right from the gun.  There is a sort of awkward 120 degree corner on this course that has caused some riders troubles in the past.  It would be nice to get to it ahead of any potential carnage.

Sweeping around the 120 degree turn at the bottom of the hill.
Hilarious... I was in the front row but way on the side... this angle put me about 3/4 of the way back within seconds of the start.   It is frustrating to practically be out of contention before you even have completed a lap.  Luckily, there are some races on my calendar that don't emphasize the importance of a good start.  I have achieved many good finishes, but good starts aren't my speciality.

Anyway, we all made it through the corner unscathed, so now it was time to see what kind of damage the hill was going to do.  OUCH!  The front guys were really setting an intense tempo.  The first lap was discouraging, but there wasn't time to reflect... there wasn't any strategizing... this race was just about survival.

I began to edge up on a few guys during the second time up the hill, hoping that the race would eventually slow down.  The third time up the hill was starting to get a bit out of hand.  The momentum of the group wasn't slowing down.  There wasn't anyone attacking, just a very quick pace that caused a stinging sensation in my legs that is hard to describe.  Unfortunately,  I didn't see anyone breeding on the hill, as it's namesake suggested.  This would have been a nice diversion from the pain.  There was a couple embraced under a shade tree, but I didn't see them making out, so quite certain they weren't breeding, at least not in the traditional sense of the word. 

Everything was happening so fast, but I could tell that I was losing ground.  A split of some sort occurred as the hill repeats began to take their toll.  I ended up in a group with Nate Kullbornm (Atlas) and a couple of other guys from out-of-state.  We kept a nice pace around the course, and were encouraged that we were passing riders occasionally.  At some point, we were being told that the lead group wasn't that far up the road.  

Great shot of the field coming over the start/finish area atop the hill.  The pain associated with crossing that line will forever be etched into my memories, due to the emotional connection of the effort.
Well, I wasn't planning on pulling out regardless of what place I was in.  I had driven about two and a half hours to get here and really needed to train at race pace.  Having said that, it seemed like we really did have a shot at getting back into one of the top ten paying spots.  I was beginning to catch glimpses of riders who were up the road but had now pulled out of the race along the side of the course.  I wondered how many people could possibly still be up the road?
Great, I got to find out first hand as Jeff Barnes came around us with about 2 laps to go.  Nate jumped on his wheel and I dangled just a bit behind, not quite able to match that tempo.  Apparently, Jeff  had attacked the group and was trying to hang on for the victory.  He got caught, however, and the group passed me during their sprint.  I counted back and realized I wasn't in the top ten... dang. Breeder's Hill Results.
Here is the group that remained intact towards the end of the race.  Matias Perret (ICCC) went on to win.

Once again, I am a bit confused by the race situation this year.  Am I slower than last year or is the field faster?  I really do think the field is faster.   Ok, my fitness may be off just a bit, but my theory is that the mild winter has given guys more of a head start on me than in year's past.  This combined with the larger, more stacked fields is attributing to my mediocre results.  I am starting to get used to it, however, and enjoying the fact that I am now able to achieve "success" in ways that don't focus on comparing myself to others.  The only time I plan on comparing myself to others from here on out, is when I do better than them. giggle. 

Keep reading this blog, however, as I am sure there will be some races that work out for me.  My fitness is advancing... my motivation is steady... and I look forward to the hot/humid conditions that suit my particular form of fitness.  I think that a lot of guys are peaking right now and will hopefully be a bit burn-out in June and July.  At this point, I am definitely the under dog in the Cat 1,2 racing scene. The less you expect from me, the more motivated I will be to prove you wrong.  The stage is set for a great story with a happy ending.

No comments: