Monday, August 23, 2010

2010 Big Creek Road Race

This 2nd annual event was held just north of Des Moines at the Big Creek State Park.  There were several race divisions that all started a couple minutes apart beginning with the 57.5 mile Cat 1,2,3 race that I entered.  It got a bit confusing as we began passing other races, but also sort of fun to watch other groups compete as we passed by.  The first lap was fast and I noted that we were averaging 27mph. I also was relieved to notice that there were quite a few solo riders taking up the duty of chasing down attacks by Team Zealous and Mercy-Specialized, as both teams were well-represented.

After I watched several attacks get brought back in, and felt that the field had softened up a bit, I started looking up the road for a break to bridge up to.  I saw a guy from Zealous (new guy on team named Michael) and Brian West (Colorbiotics) and thought that seemed promising, so I went for it.  Several riders bridged up and a break started to form.  This was a critical part of the race as everyone was trying to get up to the break or defend their teammates move.  Iowa City got a guy up eventually (Ryan Nenninger), as Brian West swapped with his teammate Austin Turner.  Derek Cassady of Bikes2You made several attempts to join the break, but was unsuccessful, leaving B2U unrepresented. 

The Cat 1/2/3 breakaway group, as it works together trying to create a gap.
A closer look at the Chase group led by Kevin Temple of Bikes2You.
I was very motivated to make this break stick, but became a bit discouraged when it ended up having 9 people in it... that is a bit large for a race that only pays back 7, but none-the-less, things were looking good.  Iowa City and Zealous both had 2 guys in this lead group so the pack was probably struggling to find enough riders to work the chase.
The leading group of 8 (soon to be nine once Jeff Barnes joined), rotating through attempting to create a definitive gap.
I will have to admit that I wasn't really in sync with the group intially.  I was scolded for pulling through too hard but eventually settled in to their rhythm.  Towards the final laps of this 10 lap course, we knew our break would stick, so our pace slowed down a bit, as riders were starting to cramp and/or fatigue.  It didn't seem that hot at the start of the race, but it got hot quick, and two bottles just wasn't enough.

Towards the very end of the race our break still had 8 riders,  as Mike (Team Zealous) and Ryan Nenninger (ICCC) got a gap... Unfortunately, the other two solo riders weren't helping bring this back and Clark Priebe launched himself off into the gap.  So I was in a very confusing race situation... as Jared Osterloh (Team Zealous) and Jeff Barnes (ICCC) were doing a great job of defending their teammate's moves (checkmate?).

I tried to get up the road  by creating a gap instead of pulling everyone, but the five riders were stuck to me like glue.  I slowed way down a couple of times but no one came around me.  And then, rather predictably, with about 500 meters to go, the riders behind me attacked, and I blew up.  My tentative 'chasing' didn't work out well for Clark either, as I kept the group just close enough that they caught him before the line. 

So, I really did have an enjoyable experience despite finishing one spot out of the money in 8th.  Sure, I would have faired  better if a smaller lead group had formed but being in the winning break is a thrilling experience and much better than chasing one down.  The organizers stepped things up a notch from last year's debut, and it was really appreciated, thanks for all who put this race together.

No comments: