Sunday, January 16, 2011

Rolling Pressure

My legs didn't quite want to cooperate with what needed to be done in order to get the fastest time of the day at the Harper's Cycling Indoor Roller TT that I participated in on Saturday, but I did end up getting a first place finish in the Cat 1,2,3 division.  Ok, I was the only one who entered, but when it comes to rollers, showing up is a huge part of the accomplishment.

Travis Jass and Simon Carl (both Cat 4's) posted very strong times of 5:13 and 5:10 respectively, prior to my attempt.  Between those two numbers and the current season benchmark of 5:08.5, I had a lot of numbers floating through my head as I began to pedal.  I thought about all the cat 1,2,3's in Iowa that weren't here and/or choose to ignore roller racing all together and I was a little envious of their sage wisdom with respect to ego defense.  The bar had been set at 5:10.2 for the day... man that was going to take something special.

Well, I posted a 5:16.9, which is a very respectable time, just hard for me to completely be thrilled with, considering that I have posted faster times in previous seasons and even earlier this year.  I really just overshot my limit on that particular day by aiming for too ambitious of a result, and ended up holding on for dear life, as my cadence slipped gradually throughout the effort.
 
I am quite certain I will be able to improve my 3 race average throughout the season as my results usually improve as spring approaches.  I will tweak my training plan just a bit to acknowledge that there is some room for improvement.  I hope to shave off a few seconds at the next event that happens this Saturday up in Cedar Rapids.  I will at least have 'fun' trying.

No comments: