Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Going for the 'Yellow Jersey'?

The Iowa Roller Race Championship Series is a lot like a stage race for time trialists.  You compete in at least three events across the state and your average is compiled to award medals to the top three results in each category.  So, even though I don't compete in every race, I still have to keep track of the other results as they are counting towards the championship.

Similar to a stage race, you don't have to win every stage (or even ANY stage) to win the overall championship (general classification?)...  Well, I am in a situation where I have to decide whether or not I want to travel to Ames for the last race of the year... I have a great three race average, but Travis Jass of Sioux City would be able to overtake it, if he opts to compete in Ames and posts a solid time. This is because it will offset his worst time, and expose mine (5:22 and 5:14 respectively).

It is tempting to have a mid-state showdown (East Vs. West)...  I am quite certain I don't have to win the event to get the Gold Medal and defend my 2011 title, yet this all depends on what kind of result Travis accomplishes compared to mine.   Also, If I opt to make the journey, I will be eligible to win a set of rollers (must race 4 times), which adds incentive.

Hmm, not sure, as I feel quite content with having accomplished my personal goal in Burlington, and might enjoy focusing on some other aspects of training for awhile.  On the other hand, the dream scenario would be that team mate Kevin Severs wins the event, and I do what it takes to improve my three race average, winning the 2012 Roller Race Series.  Not to mention the fact that I really do seem to enjoy Racing Against the Clock.

There is a new website called 'TheFullSked.com"  that seems to be a good resource for Midwest Endurance Athletes.  They have posted the following results:
----------------
Congratulations to Chad Bishop for breaking the 5-min barrier at the Bickell's roller race on Feb. 11.

With two races to go, the fastest rides to date are:
Open Men (all cats)
1. 4:59.8 Chad Bishop at Burlington
2. 5:04.3 Travis Jass at Ft. Dodge
3. 5:04.6 Chad Bishop at Harpers
4. 5:05.5 Kevin Severs at Iowa Bike Summit
5. 5:07 Travis Jass at Iowa Bike Summit

Women
1. 5:52 Connie Inks at Iowa Bike Summit
2. 5:57 Connie Inks at Harpers
3. 6:34 Lisa Vetterlein at Iowa Bike Summit
Masters 40+
1. 5:36 Rod McKillip at Valley West Wipeout
2. 5:40 Rod McKillip at Iowa Bike Summit
3. 5:49 David Hammer at Iowa Bike Summit
4. 5:50 Randy Catron at Iowa Bike Summit
Junior
1. 5:38 William Rekemeyer at Iowa Bike Summit
2. 5:44 William Rekemeyer at Valley West Wipeout
---------
My respect to all that participate in the winter Roller Race series... regardless of your specific result, I am sure you are enjoying watching your fitness evolve. Showing up and laying it all out there takes a bit of courage, in my opinion.  This is one of many ways to commit to a healthy lifestyle during the wintery midwest months. Congrats!

1 comment:

john said...

Go to the race and take care of your lead in the series. If I went I think I could get the old guys gold by removing a terrible time. But I'm gong to race the long gravel event -CIRREM on Sat. and don't think I'll be up for the Roller TT on Sun.
J