Saturday, March 28, 2009

Kent Park... Spring Opener Cancelled

Due to snowy conditions, this year's Iowa Spring Classic had to be cancelled. Looking at the start lists, it was going to be one great battle. The list, at least, is an education as to which Iowa riders were feeling their early season racing form.

Well, that puts the next Iowa Road race at April 19th, for a criterium in Dubuque. I have been planning a cycling trip south to the St. Louis area to make up for the cancellation of the April 4th/5th Des Moines Area races, so I don't completely have the winter blues.

The Cat 3 Hillsboro Roubaix is a 66 mile Road Race with registration nearing the 120 rider limit (most of the divisions are already on wait list). I am working on possibly staying the night and going to St. Louis the next day to race in the 'spring fling criterium'. These races will serve to help further my training and race experience. But, mostly, anticipating them has helped keep me motivated to train through the 'hit or miss' weather in Iowa during this time of year. Pictured is part of the cobble section leading up to the town of Hillsboro.

Ahh, but green & sunny days are coming. How nice it will be to ride until I am physically done, and no longer having to stop due to freezing extemities, limited daylight or the mental burn of a cloudy/windy day. . I logged 6 workouts this week, but 5 of them were indoors... dang, that is less than ideal. I suppose the guys 260 miles south of me in the St. Louis area will have a bit of an edge on me, in that respect.

1 comment:

Doug said...

It is a bit of a drive, but in metro Detroit we have two races this weekend. If you want to race, hop in your race...