Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Eagle Point & Monika's TT Quick Reports

EAGLE POINT CRIT

This is always a race I look forward too.  I entered the Cat 3 event with about 12 other guys.  Atlas had 4 guys, otherwise there weren't really any teams to contend with.  They launched attacks in a sort of rotating fashion, but there was always someone up for bridging the gaps.  I was hoping to get a breakaway started, but was racing a bit more conservatively (intelligently?) than usual, as I decided not to use anymore races that have payouts as training opportunitites and/or practice. 

I won the first field prime, which was a good sign that maybe I was strong compared to some of the other guys.  I even took a stab at the second prime, but it was near the end of the race, so I backed off, as Brian West unloaded a very intimidating effort.

 Most of the group was still intact as we headed into the last lap.  Fortunately, Ryan Jacobsen of Atlas eventually came to the front and set a workable tempo.  Brian West (Colorbiotics) and Brandon Kealy (Mercy/ICCC) came around the corner to the straight section in the lead, as everyone basically unloaded whatever they had left and the placings somewhat reflected this situation.  I came across the line in third place with a comfortable cushion behind me with Brian and Brandon nearly tying for the overall win. 

EAGLE POINT Cat 3 Top 6 (in the money):
1) Brandon Keely
2) Brian West
3) Chad Bishop
4) Michael Edwards
5) Spencer Oswold
6) Dan Galles

--MONIKA's TT SERIES #1--

Well, it is a little early to be out on the TT bike, however with the Iowa City weekend now featuring a TT event on Friday, this 'grass roots' race was a great chance to test my fitness and warm-up for this Friday's race.  The Goosetown Time Trial on Friday will be the first outdoor TT I have ever entered that has a pay-out, so I am interested to see how that may effect the turn-out, and if I can take home some cash.

Monika's TT #1 was a 10 mile course that had several turns.  I was forced me to sit-up from my TT position several times, so my time wasn't destined to be a PR, by any means, but it was afairly smooth b-level county road with low traffic.  Somehow, I tied with Paul Deninger for first place, at 21:53:80.  Considering the fact that they were timing this to the tenth of a second, I consider this to be very noteworthy (if only I would have shaved my legs smoother).  Also very fitting, as I am sure I will be battling against him from time to time throughout the season.  (Full Results).  The storyline will unfold as new 'characters' make their appearances, as we race against the clock on the road to nowhere.

1 comment:

Doug said...

April is not too early to do a TT.

Hmmmmm, got it; that .10 of a sec... shave your head for next time, and use Turtle Wax :).