Sunday, April 25, 2010

Old Cap Race Weekend Part 1

GOOSETOWN TIME TRIAL

It was a damp and dreary Friday, but that didn't keep riders from kicking off the 2010 Iowa City Racing Weekend with a 10 Mile TT, just south of town.  I believe around 40 to 50 people entered, with 10 of them being Cat 1/2's, testing their legs before the RR and Crits that following weekend.

Some sort of killer 18-20mph wind created a tailwind out, and headwind back.  My warm-up was brief due to the inclement weather, which cost me some time, but I still felt good about placing well in the Cat 3 division, and maybe even overall.

We didn't get the results that night, so a bit anti-climatic, maybe even nerve-wracking... sort of like waiting for test results from the STD clinic (not that I would know).  I knew my time, but had no idea how the others did. Ultimately, I was pleased getting second overall and first in the Cat 3 division.  From memory, here are the the top 3:

Paul Deninger- 22:02 (Cat 1)
Chad Bishop - 22:15 (Cat 3)
Derek Cassady - 22:53 (Cat 2)

IOWA CITY ROAD RACE
Ok, well off to a good start, I was hoping that blasting out a 10 mile threshold interval/race on Friday wouldn't effect my performance at this event.  A competive field lined up to do four rolling laps totalling 52 miles. There was an even larger Pro 1/2 field that started just ahead of us... overall this event has a lot of energy and is a race I always look forward too, despite the fact that it is tricky to master due to all the tactical options and mile-by-mile situations that need contended with.

Everyone was testing each other during this race, especially early on, trying to see if they could get a break to stick and feel out the stronger riders. The gaps always got bridged, however, and toward the latter parts of the race, you could sense that everyone was realizing that 'escaping was futile'. 

There had been so many attacks throughout the race, that by the middle of the fourth lap when Ryan French of All-NineYards got a gap, no one thought too much of it... of course fatigue was setting in just a bit, as well.  Pete Basso of Rasmussen's recognized the potential and bridged up along with Kevin Temple of B2U.  Eventually Pete couldn't hang on, but the other two stayed up ahead, but always within our sights. There was some cooperation for a bit, as a group of about 6 or 7 people, including myself, chased.  Later, I found myself pulling the group as I sensed that the move might not get brought back.  We were approaching the end of the race (that only paid back 5 spots, so sprinting for three places wouldn't be good odds for me).  I couldn't really think of a reason why I should chase, however, and reluctantly let some people go around me. 

I sensed that the two man break wasn't going to get pulled back, as the field wasn't cooperating.  I attacked the field with about 3 or 4 miles to go and ended up in the middle.  I was about to give up, but then I noticed that they weren't really chasing me. Ok, so this is my move... take a shot at getting third place the hard way with a solo breakaway.

Alas, that was not to be, as the field ultimately wasn't interested in letting 3 people up the road, and I was caught with only about 1.5 miles to go.  Another guy attacked... hard... and I unloaded everything I had to get on his wheel and then pull around him hoping he would have enough energy to rotate with me, as I had another gap... nope, he was done... and as the field caught me again my race was over.  I slipped to the back of the now fiercely charging pack that was racing to the sprint.

Ryan French won, with Kevin just behind.  Ryan mentioned that this is his last week as a Cat 3... what a great boost of confidence for him as he moves up to the accomplished Des Moines Based Cat 1/2 team formerly known as All-Nine Yards.

Stay-tuned for Part two, which will feature results and photos from the Old Cap Crit.

1 comment:

Doug said...

Yeah, talk about a misty weekend, with the glasses I have to wear just to see; 95% humidity and a mist does not mix... I had to drop out because my glasses were all fogged up... :(... I really should get contacts.

Does it burn when you go to the bathroom :)????? (you were asking for that one)

Ah the old; 'hey, he is going off the front', 'na, he'll be back', (4 minutes later), 'hey, he is getting away', 'oh shoot, after him'...