Sunday, May 30, 2010

Snake Alley Crit Report


 
Snake Alley -
Basically, launched off the line from the start and led the first two or three laps, perfectly according to plan, because after that the race becomes more about fitness and technique, and less about some of the mishaps, like getting behind a wreck or dropped chain going up the snake. 

I really couldn't believe the gap that I had at the beginning of the race, seemed like I was dreaming.  I decided to wake up from the dream, and deal with the reality that I might have toasted myself as the field regrouped and about 8 to 10 of us worked our way through the course in a break of sorts.  This is a race of attrition as the heat and relentless pain that pedalling up the Snake Alley causes eventually whittles everyone down.  Toward the end of the race, though, I was still in the front group.

As we started to catch lapped riders things got confusing.  A fifteen year old kid from Wisconsin named Jordan Cullen slipped off the front as a group of three of us became the remnants of the chase. The confusion actually may have helped us, as those behind us may not have been clear regarding the gap.

The three of us sprinted to the line, and I came in for fourth overall.  I was in the red zone to the extent that I started to head to the medical tent to see if I could get an IV.  This overwhelming feeling subsided as I rehydrated, and could enjoy a successful day in Burlington. Great race, well organized and congrats to the field that braved this tough course.

5 comments:

Carson said...

Congrats Chad!!! That is fudging awesome! I told you your form was coming around perfectly!

Good luck the rest of the weekend, and hopefully we will see you in the 1/2!

Bird said...

chad are you doing Bryce Mead Time trial on June 5th. Coleta Il. He will be there. You two can go up against each other.

Chad Bishop said...

Bird,
Yeah, I had that race on my calendar, but ended up taking a summer class that meets on Saturdays in June. I won't be able to go, but would be curious to see how close I could get to his time. He looked strong as ever at the memorial day weekend races.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Unknown said...

Congrats on your memorial day races & win. Please, Please Please, learn how to sprint from your bar drops not your bar tops (or even your hoods for God's sake). Pics from both races show the same thing. Not only is it not safe but you would have saved 3 places at Snake Alley if you knew how to sprint right. If you sprint like that in a Cat 1/2 pack your chicken wings are going to get caught up and cause a HUGE mess.

Peace.

Chad Bishop said...

Yeah, I noticed that too, I will try and keep that in mind...