Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Superweek - Day One

In entered the Master's Cat 1/2/3 event in Whitnall Park (Hales Corners, WI) on Monday.  There were about 45 guys lined up to race around 30 miles (13 laps) over a course with rolling hills and soft corners.  This was called a 'road race' but really did feel more like a criterium, due to the short duration and multiple number of laps.

The usual racing situations emerged with gaps forming and people bridging up in hopes of creating a break.  I reluctantly brought one back early on, but this was sort of the norm in this race, as everyone was capable of performing well, and didn't want too large of a break to get away.

Two guys ultimately got up the road, as others took their chances each lap to get up the road.  I went on my breakaway rampage about 20 miles in.  I got into (or started) about 4 seperate breaks, but ultimately nothing stuck.

Well, that tactic was sort of an "all or nothing" approach, which didn't give me enough left for the finish, which was sort of an uphill grind.  No one really came around me, but I didn't gain any spots either, to finish 26th. 

If I would have sat in the whole time, I most likely would have been able to get in the money, basically saving my 'attack' for the finish line. I only say that because it reminds me that the field's up here are tough, but not so bad to be discouraging... there is a certain combination of tactics, strength and luck that will work... hopefully I can find this combination at one of the next two races.

No comments: