Thursday, December 9, 2010

Team Announcement - American Equity

I am happy to announce that I have elected to undertake a new challenge within the world of competitive cycling by accepting an invitation to join an Elite Cat 1,2 team for 2011.   The team is called American Equity and will include a 6 man squad of well-established riders.  The roster includes Jeff Bradley (former pro-cyclist, Tour De France participant, Team 7-11, olympics, etc.), TJ Tollakson (current pro-triathlete), Paul Deninger (multilple state TT champ, coach, cat 1), Lou Waugaman (Cat 1, multiple Kent Park winner, numerous wins, etc.), Carson Christen (Exercise Physiology Grad Student, Snake Alley Cat 3,4 winner, Endurance Coach, etc.) and myself.  If you ask me, this team is going to be ridiculously strong.

I had a taste of racing in Cat 1/2 events in 2010, and noticed many more team tactics.  I am excited to see how I can be of help to team focused initiatives rather than being a solo rider. 

The team is well sponsored, specifically by American Equity and Trek  (also Dunn Bros Coffee, Outdoor Innovations, Extreme Bodyshaping, and more TBA).  It is a priviledge to actually be recieving financial incentives based on having earned an invitation to race for this team.  All of the hard work literally is paying off.  Additionally, the team is planning a spring training camp in Arizona which should be a great new experience and a nice break from the cold.

I wouldn't have been able to upgrade all the way to Cat 2 without the guidance of the gang that meets at Harper's Cycling in Muscatine for Tuesday night training rides, so a huge thanks to everyone who has ever showed up and encouraged the friendly battles.  Specifically Greg Harper, Joe Mann and Bill Ford gave me great guidance while serving as mentors and role-models.  Hopefully they will encourage my continued interest in competitive cycling at this level by including me in future rides.  Also thanks to the Melon City Bike Club for supporting local cycling initiatives.

The Tuesday night gang (not pictured Mike Doyle, Bob Hayes, Jeff Hunt, Tim Armstrong, & misc. local athletes).
 Things are going to get interesting...  I will have a whole new perspective to share with readers of this blog.  I hope to continue to support midwest competitive athletics by providing race reports and personal insights.  I appreciate the race promoters, competitors, sponsors, and fans whose passion provide me with this healthy outlet.

5 comments:

Doug said...

Great a new team for you! At last. Have fun storming the castle.

Doug said...

What big races do you plan for 2011? Super week? Memorial Day weekend? Any tours or stage races?

I need some motivation to get off my butt and on the trainer.

Chad Bishop said...

Doug,yeah finding motivation can be the trick... I will get some races planned in a month or two... reading my blog should jumpstart the training, as my energy might be contagious.

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Love reading this blog. Good luck in 2011.

Jeff Paul said...

That's a heck of a team and you are a big reason why! Excited to watch some races and see great things from you guys. Keep working hard.