Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pulling the Trigger... Bang, Bang, Bang!

I have been sitting on the fence, with respect to a few decisions lately... I had the gun cocked and loaded, but hesitant to pull the trigger... alas, one of the best parts about the midwest winters... inspiration through boredom...

BANG: A.C.E. Personal Trainer Certification

I have begun the process of becoming a Certified Personal Trainer and Group Fitness Instructor through the American Council on Exercise.  I am hoping to make better use of the knowledge and experience that I already have, while expanding my knowledge regarding physical and mental fitness.  It is rewarding, for example to know the exact name of the muscle that is sore every time I do standing intervals on an indoor trainer ... Iliopsoas.

BANG: Competing in CrossFit



With much thought and deliberation, I ultimately decided to enter an upcoming CrossFit Competition.  It is an odd feeling to be a beginner at something... I am a Category 5 Crossfitter (no they don't actually categorize competitors).  I am experiencing all the usual anxieties that come with participating in something for the first time.  I have only been doing CrossFit workouts for about 5 weeks, so not the best timing, with respect to my confidence, but I can't resist participating, as it will be fun to experience this culture, and socialize with a new group of athletes.

I was happy to find out that the box jump will be part of my team's competition... I can jump up on boxes with the best of them... very similar energy system as the pedal stroke, believe it or not. 

BANG:  Trek Madone SSL/DuraAce/Bontrager D3

2012 Trek Madone 6.9 SSL Frame, DuraAce/Bontrager Components, Bontrager D3 Aeolus 5 Wheels
One of the great aspects of being a part of a sponsored bike racing team like American Equity, is that you enjoy certain amenities, including a great partnership with TREK.  I still had to look deep, however, to decide just how committed I was to this sport before I finalized the specs on my new road bike.  Ultimately, I decided that eating excessive portions of pizza and tacos was something I truly value, and therefore could enjoy more if I shave a couple of pounds off of my bike by going top-of-the-line, with respect to the frame and components.  I have adjusted my anticipated race weight from 159 to 161... which should still put the total weight of me and my bike well under 180....  Ok, in reality, I will try and have my cake and eat it too (literally?)  If I can somehow hit my usual race weight, AND have this upgraded/lighter bike as part of my 2012 racing tool set... I could potentially experience some enhanced outcomes. 




1 comment:

john said...

Good luck - Chad at the X fit competition. We'll be cheering for you and our Cedar Falls X Fitters.
John
Nice bike