Sunday, January 29, 2012

CrossFit... the sport of fitness

Participating in team competition...
performing a set of  "Double Unders"
I had a rewarding experience participating in the 1st Annual Iowa City/Cedar Falls Corridor CrossFit Competition.  It was very interesting to watch over 200 participants competing to see who is the 'most fit'.... 

The first leg of the team competition was a 12 minute workout that included box jumps, shoulder presses, rowing, and jump roping... I was elected to do the jump roping, because I was the most capable of doing the 'double under' technique, which is a skill that takes a bit of practice to master. 

Unfortunately for our team... the second workout ended up being a power lifting competition... how much weight can you lift over your head once... this is NOT a part of CrossFit that I enjoy... doing one rep olympic-style max efforts is potentially dangerous, and not really worth the risk considering that I am a competitive cyclist.  Having said that, I still loaded up the bar and threw up as much weight as I could to give our team some points.  The trick to CrossFit is that you are supposed to be prepared for everything... these events could include things like stationary cycling, squats for time, wall balls, rope climbing, sand bag carries, etc...  that means that certain competitors do better in certain workouts... the key is balance... the challenge is very motivating... being fit at everything, not just one thing.
Post W.O.D. #1 pic with my CrossFit team...

I like this CrossFit stuff, and can see myself really getting into each fall/winter.  I also think that my short duration cycling power may see some benefits from the leg workouts.  CrossFit usually involves very high reps, so not much risk of 'bulking up'....  obviously I don't want a bunch of upper body weight slowing me down this year....

So, perhaps I should get focused on cycling... but still feels a bit early.... on the other hand I literally feel like I am cheating on the sport of cycling... like some sort of self-indulgent 'pleasure'... the reality is that I love my "wife" and I can't wait to get back into her warm, accepting, embrace...

4 comments:

KATHLEEN said...

Way to go Chad. With your compulsive competitiveness you will be on top in no time - fittest on earth!

Carson said...

Beats riding the trainer anyday! Good work man. Scientific research doesn't really suggest any benefits though cycling.

john said...

Chad - good to see you putting it out there. Lot of strong/fit folks in this crazy scene. I don't know if I'll ever get into the X fit competitions, but I sure like routine.
John

Chad Bishop said...

John/Kathleen... glad you guys could make it out to watch... the energy in the room probably inspired you guys as well..

Carson, ok, thanks for the perspective... I am just theorizing that plymometrics might give me a boost in some of my weaker areas with respect to cycling... maybe I was just trying to justify 'mixing it up'...