Thursday, February 2, 2012

Soggy Bottom Boys

Riding outside the other day reminded me of this movie...

"Gray would be the color if I had a heart"... Great, I am quoting NIN songs.  Yes, that's right, you guessed it... I'm conflicted... with respect to outdoor riding.  I guess I am supposed to ride my bike outside when it is 'nice' out, as is the case lately... really throws off my game plan... I have tons of indoor workouts that I am excited to get through, and wasn't planning on spending the extra time riding around outside.  Something must be wrong with me, as I found it completely miserable to ride outside the other day.
Ok, wasn't quite this bad out... but sort of the same 'feeling'.
To write this post I did a search for "miserable gray winter gravel road photo"... oddly enough, the top result was for a race called "The Triple D Winter Race"... which occurs near Dubuque, Iowa...  Probably a pretty cool event... the organizer mentions that "misery loves company"... sounds about right...

If you asked me to list some words or phrases that came to my mind when thinking about my tuesday gravel ride they would be "loud (windy in my ears), snotty, muddy, gray, devoid of color, litter everywhere, death, dead things (trees, grass, etc).  dirt, soggy, chilly, boring, pointless, annoying, depressing".

Ok, I would run to the doctors to get some medication for depression, but then I tried the same exercise when I thought about my last indoor cycling workout:  "challenging, rewarding, intense, exciting, nervous, fitness enhancing, inspiring, motivational, sultry, therapeutic,  re-affirming, painfully pleasurable"...

Sure the weather is rideable, but that doesn't mean that we still don't have limited daylight and mucky roads....  If you have the extra time necessary to ride outside (gearing up, washing self, clothes, bike) etc.  then go for it... but if you have other commitments and/or reservations...  I am hear to say "It's alright"... you are not alone...  riding indoors this time of year IS a healthy part of a well-rounded yearly training agenda...  It IS alright to not like having a soggy butt... taking a break from traffic for a few months is NOT a bad idea...  trust me, I am not complaining... as this is the best Iowa winter I can imagine... I am just suggesting that it is ALL good...

Our emotions(feelings) effect our thoughts and behaviors, and my butt feels wet...  I think I will let it dry off.

2 comments:

john said...

Today in Cedar Falls it is nice enough that I'll do both. Nice enough to enjoy the road and time enough to ride with the team at our HOP.
John

Chad Bishop said...

oh yeah, that is the perfect scenario... the best of both worlds...