Monday, February 27, 2012

Gold Medal - Iowa State Championship Series

The 2012 Cat 1,2  Iowa State Championship Podium:
Kevin Severs (Silver), Chad Bishop (Gold), and Austin Turner (Bronze).
I elected to travel to Ames Iowa for the 2012 "Ames Assault Roller Race" on Sunday.  I was hoping to defend my 2011 Gold Medal in the Championship Series, while also qualifying for the raffle for a new set of Krietler Rollers.  My rollers work well, but they are about 5 years old and I really wanted to replace them.  However, a roller system with resistance fan is over $500, so winning a set in a raffle would be sweet.

Upon arrival, I was informed that they would be separating the Cat 3 racers from the Cat 1,2 racers for the state medals... hmm, I probably wouldn't have drove up to Ames had I known that, as Travis Jass was the one threatening my Gold medal, and he was a cat 3.  Well, luckily I didn't know that in advance because I ended up winning the drawing for the Krietler rollers!! Yes, that made it all worth it. 

As far as the race in Ames goes, I really didn't have the best result compared to my previous efforts.  I wasn't motivated to beat my own time of 4:59.8, as that is the 'bar' that I want to try and overcome next winter...  and beating a teammate is never a specific objective, so I was sort of confused about what I wanted to accomplish as I stepped up to the rollers.

Travis Jass had a great ride that day, posting the time to beat at 5:02.7.... which became my soft target.  Right from the gun I knew something was wrong... I had changed out my rear cassette since the last race, and unfortunately my speed/cadence information wasn't  in sync with the equipment used to measure the results at this race.  This threw me off, as I spun up to my usual cadence and was shocked to see that this was only going to create a finishing time of around 5:08 (usually it reads 4:55). I tried to pedal harder, and then even shifted to a harder gear (this is NEVER a good sign for me).  Confused, I rode it out.  The only thing I could think to aspire to was still getting on the podium.  Kurt Hantleman had posted the current third place time at 5:15, so that was my goal.  I finished with a 5:12 which was third, right behind team mate Kevin Severs. 

Unlike other races, I was just barely out of breath, and my legs didn't feel like concrete after I finished... Hmm, did I give it my 'best effort'?... sort of anti-climactic and initially discouraging.  I was 'discouraged' because I really did feel like I was going to improve my three race average... I felt good and my training was on track.  I guess it has to do with not being mentally driven that particular day...

Of course the upside is that I am again the the Iowa State Indoor TT champ and my journey to Ames was rewarded by winning the raffle.  Actually, the main upside is that I enjoy competing indoors, which specifically motivates my winter training efforts, putting me in great form as the road season begins.  I have to say, it is sort of exciting to have the indoor racing season behind me, though, as I can now start to slowly crawl out of my cave, and begin to enjoy the beauty of outdoor bike training and racing. 

I won three USA Cycling State Gold Medals last year as a Cat 2 (Rollers, Gravel, and Time Trial), so it nice to know that I will be able to have at least one Gold Medal result in 2012.   Thanks to Harper's Cycling and all the clubs and bike shops that support the culture of cycling by putting on this series.

1 comment:

john said...

Good job with the rollers series and good luck with he pursuit of gold.
John