Sunday, March 4, 2012

Marching to the Beat of a Different Drummer

That title made me giggle...  not sure I can follow it up with an actual post. 

Blogging is sort of a joke sometimes.  I often wonder why some people are prone to write blogs and others are not.  Do we need the attention?  Narcissists?  Extremely bored?  Disposable time? Seeking a creative outlet? etc.

Maybe I didn't get enough attention as a child and I am constantly seeking approval.  Not sure, but I do know that one therapy I studied at WIU was called Narrative Therapy.  It basically suggests that having an audience can provide therapeutic relief for certain maladies... I can attest to this. However, I would still blog even if no one else read it.  In fact, sometimes it is wierd that people read my blog.  I often run across people at races who seem to know me, but I don't know them.  Initially, I feel bad, like I forgot meeting them, then I realize that they probably just follow my blog from time to time.

Some people simply enjoy reading blogs,  while others seem to have a major issue with the whole concept.  I know that archiving my cycling lifestyle is very rewarding for me.  I find it enjoyable to reflect on my experiences, as this is a great way to relive the experience while attempting to extend the educational potential. 

I decided that I am going to write pre-reports for some of my races.  I think it is noteworthy to compare my thoughts prior to a race to the ones I have afterward.  I also think it will provide readers an opportunity to look forward to the result.  Did I write a check my butt couldn't cash, for example.

SELF-EFFICACY
Essentially, if you believe in your ability to accomplish a certain ambition, you are more likely to succeed.  Several things contribute to self-efficacy including VICARIOUS EXPERIENCE (observing someone similiar to yourself participating successfully), VERBAL PERSUASION (encouraging feedback from peers), and PAST PERFORMANCE EXPERIENCE (having succeeded at it before).

Past performance is the most influential... think about how much more confident you are the second time you attempt something that you have already been exposed to. Looking ahead to my race calendar, I will be aspiring towards self-efficacy in all of my races.  I do regret, however, that I didn't race the Cat 1,2 Old Cap Crit last year.  I won't have the specific past performance confidence that I would have, had I lined up in 2011.  Unfortunately, I have also witnessed many of my Cat 2 peers become discouraged when they were unable to finish the race, so I can't specifically call on vicarious experience to increase my self-efficacy for this event.  Maybe someone can give me some verbal persuasion as the race gets nearer to help get my psyche in check.

I also have a low self-efficacy regarding flat 6/8 corner crits.  I really struggle with those things, especially if it is a large field. 2012 is a new year, so I am not planning on revisiting any of these doubts...  I just had to get this off of my chest (ah, catharsis, another reason I write a blog).

It is all about self-efficacy from here on out... I have raced a ton, and have a full year as a Cat 2 under my belt... not to mention the fact that I have my training down to a science (literally)... so I am not going to let self-doubt be a limiting factor this year... sports psychology 101:  positive imagery and self-confidence... the beat of this year's drum is going to be... well different than last year.

No comments: