Thursday, March 8, 2012

The 1st Annual Quad Cities Road Race

Though the details are FAR from being finalized, we are committed to the date (July 14th), and pretty sure about the name of  American Equity Racing's 2012 road race...

The Quad Cities already has a well-known criterium... now they are going to have a Road Race...
Check our website out in a few weeks for details once we start to get things finalized...  We are putting a lot of effort into presenting a solid racing experience for midwest cyclists.  Road races are few and far between, yet many racers seem to enjoy participating in them, so we decided early on to produce an event within this discipline.

RACE PROMOTION
Ok, my eyes have been opened to all that goes in to promoting a race, now that I am actively engaged in the process.  I am very surprised with how complicated things can get.  I have raced in tons of events, but never really paid attention to all the minor details, just enjoyed participating. I always made a point of not complaining, though as I knew the promoters were doing all they could to make the event run smoothly.

My biggest delusion was that you could actually make money by putting on a race...  Well, by the time you pay for the referees, the USAC surcharge, traffic enforcement, facility rental, signage, porta-potties, race forms/numbers, IBRA/ICA fees,  registration, pay-outs, etc.   there really isn't any chance of having any surplus revenue.  I can say I will never question the cost of an entry fee again, as I now realize that promoters are just charging what they need to, in hopes of not losing too much money.  Racing clubs put on events for the simple principle of contributing to the sport that they love, and should be applauded for their efforts... a lot goes into organizing racing events, especially if they are permitted with pay-outs and large fields. 

IOWA SPRING CLASSIC
I am planning on getting a nice training race under my belt this weekend in Iowa City at the first Iowa Spring Classic.  This event is a gravel/road race.  I am just going to ride my cyclocross bike this year, regardless of the road conditions, as I am simply focused on grinding out a solid effort.  I had some success in this event last year, getting in the winning  break with Andrew Fagersten (Bikes2You/World of Bikes) and Jerome Rewerts(Zealous Racing).  I came in second overall, and  had a blast slogging it up and around the Iowa City back roads.  Not sure what to expect this year, but again, results are secondary to 'not leaving anything behind' ... which means my tactic will most likely be to not race with any tactic...  confused?  I sure hope I will be... check back to see how  (or if) things panned out.

No comments: