Monday, February 20, 2012

Heat Acclimation

Being 'heat acclimated' actually worked out well on
my trip to Arizona last winter.
Believe it or not, this is the time of the year that I start to think about the effects of heat acclimation.  This concept plays a part in an individuals ability to withstand training in hot and humid conditions.  It takes about 9-14 days of training in the heat to become acclimated.  In my case, I experience year-round heat acclimation, based on the tropical training conditions that I endure whenever I exercise indoors.

Because I am 'heat acclimated' I experience the following adaptations:
1) I sweat more
2) I sweat sooner (my body's threshold is reduced in anticipation of stress... in fact I am sweating right now)
3) My sweat excretes less electrolytes
4) Decreased heart rate at sub-maximal efforts
5) Expanded blood plasma volume
6) Decrease in core temperature

So, this is all well and good in the middle of summer.  I seem to do best in hot/humid conditions.  Unfortunately, this also makes me a big cold weather wimp.   I used to chalk the whole thing up to having less body fat to insulate myself.  This theory didn't withstand empirical testing, as the guys I was training/racing with had similar body compositions.

I did notice, however, that my sweat puddles were always twice as deep as those I was training with.  Hmm, this must be it... It couldn't be my pain tolerance, because I thrive on painful situations... yes, heat acclimation is my excuse.  My body is very efficient at cooling itself, which doesn't do me any favors in cold weather.

So, I have to tolerate the first few races of the season, as I don't look forward to any race that involves 'layering'...   I always over dress, and my clothes are water logged by the end of the race... this really messes up my power-to-weight ratio.  Once the arm warmers come off, though... it is go time...  I am motivated and ready to do battle.

Luckily, a couple of the early season races on my calendar are many miles due south of Muscatine... this is no coincidence... I mostly suck in cold-weather races, so try to limit my exposure, accept for the sake of training.

Ok, I understand that I may want to consider acclimating to cold weather, by riding outside as much as possible...  hmm, makes sense, but I don't mind taking a few months off from outdoor training, and winters seem like the best time to do that. 

------------
Do you or a loved one suffer the devastating effects of HEAT ACCLIMATION?  The warning signs include ride discrimination, verbal abuse, hazing, excessive snot, frozen toes, and deflated self-esteem during the month of March.  You are not alone...  help is available.  Visit www.coldweathertrainingsucks.com for more information.

Speaking of cold weather, I am stoked to be entering the Iowa Spring Classic Series March 10th.  This is a cool race series that gives Iowa racers an opportunity to battle it out, while testing their early season fitness.  See ya!

No comments: