Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Crossing Out Cross

Not a big surprise but the first cyclocross event in Iowa... the Village Cross in Davenport, IA has been cancelled. I let my fitness lapse a little after a four weekend race intensive month in august, so perhaps this would be a good thing, giving me more time to build up... except that was my favorite race of the cross season... close, warm, good course, etc. So, thinking about 'crossing out cross'.

Ok, I probably won't but definately not taking it too seriously... wait, I guess that is sort of the point of cross, something to have fun with, hang on to fitness as too avoid getting too fat in the winter. Any discipline that includes the concept of the 'beer hand-up' in it's hand book can't be all that bad.

Jingle Cross Rock... this is the year end grand finale, UCI event in Iowa City, very very well organized. Chris Horner was special guest last year, also Todd Wells, Jason McCartney of Team CSC has also competed before.

However, the race is sort of going in the wrong direction for me though, as I would be in the Cat 2/3 event instead of the cat 3/4 event of last year. I finished right in the middle along with many of the IA guys. The people that come to this event are from all over and they mean business. I was actually hoping they created a seperate Cat 3 only race to keep the numbers down.

If you don't get in the top few rows at starting, your are sunk, because over 100 riders will be trying to funnel up Mt. Krumpit with their bike's over their shoulders. Sort of reminds me of the Snake Alley Crit in burlington, IA. Well, the turnout is rumored to be already ahead of year's past, so more people in my way. You actually get hit in the face with the rider's tires ahead of you as you climb up this hill.

Actually, I sort of like that part, made it into a contact sport, not for the timid. Blood, guts and glory... or is it Mud, Butts and Blurry. (what?) Anyway, if you don't sign up soon, you will be starting in the back. Unless you are in better shape than those ahead, forget it. On the other hand, that was one of the most memorable races I have ever entered, worth a shot if you haven't done it.

This week of training is looking poor. I will have to resort to some treadmill work because I won't have complete freedom to ride my bike and the days' are getting short... I am thinking though, that many others are in similiar situations with school/work/burnout/Injury, etc, so no need to throw in the towel just yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Last I heard is that the Harver Hammer is still on. The only question left is if your man enough. I say lift your skirt and grab your balls.