Friday, October 17, 2008

Bone pain.

Osteoporosis... one in four men will break a bone due to this disease... Maybe I have it, or maybe I simply have Hypochondriacism. Stress fracture, bone cancer, torn muscle, tape worm, muscle atrophy, spur, shin splint, dimentia...? Not sure, but regardless of the exact diagnosis, my lower leg hurts when I run or walk. This injury was from running too much last week. (it is ok to smirk if you are a pure cyclist, though sort of rude to find happiness from my pain).

So no running for awhile... maybe that is a good thing since these Iowa cross races don't seem to have much running in them. (actually, a true USCF race is supposed to be something like 10% running, we aren't even coming close). Also, running is good for the cardio, but cyclocross is still basically a cycling event, so training needs to be basically cycling.

I will compete this sunday at the Devil's cross in Bettendorf, even with the aformentioned physical affliction. Either it will be a non issue, or my calf will crack open, and splinter into pieces, leaving a trail of blood and muscle fragments... food for the squirrels and/or homeless peeps who have seen the movie 'alive'.

Looking at my race calendar, I don't have to race 60 plus minutes anymore like I did in newton, I am entering cat 3/4 races or masters races from here on out, which aren't as long (usually 45 minutes). That will be a huge advantage, I like to get in and get out. Sure that is what my last girlfriend cited as reasoning to break up with me, but in the case of short format racing, it is actually a good thing.

This fall, I am going to be experimenting with some very different training tactics. One of which is pliometrics. Go ahead, look it up, I know you don't know what it means... I'll wait...

Ok, got it? Good! Do you want to fight about it? I wouldn't mess with me. With my new pliometric training, I should be able to give you a quick chop to the throat before you are even able to get your mullet tucked under your Nascar hat.

Also trying some indoor cycling at the Y. The first workout was great, and as an added bonus, there were some attractive females in the class. This always seems to inspire a few extra 'watts' of 'Man Power' as inpiration to be fit is peddaling along with me in the same room. Doing Spinervals in my basement with Coach Troy is great and all, but I really do need to mix in some social elements to this healthy lifestyle thing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad news I heard Bryce Mead is selling his altitude tent Chad. I found this on Ebay.
Item # 300266837585

Some one said he is retiring. So you can buy it and try to replicate him. Actually it's not a bad price. Carl

Chad Bishop said...

Carl, (gates?) Not sure if the altitude tent will help my leg. Interesting though, some of the lengths pro riders will go to compete at that level. He bought that originally for around $6,000? Crazy.

Wacko said...

Actually you have the USCF cross thing backwards. The course is to be a minimum 90% rideable. There is no stipulation on minimum running sections, and it is actually acceptable to have no dismount sections.

Anonymous said...

Chad he is crazy, but worth a million I think. The funny thing is he only slept in it for a week or 2. Super nice guy and very smart. Good business man as well. Its a good buy. Carl

Doug said...

Old age setting in?????? Drink some more milk.

Go hit on some of those attractive females at the Y!

Try some of these lines at the Y:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5iZPTQ9hoU

Chad Bishop said...

wacko... ah, I was wondering if anyone would call me out on that fact, thanks for the info.

doug, great I need any help I can get.