Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Newton Cross Results





What a fine day for some cross racing in Newton's Maytag Park. This race was a 'necessary evil' for my fall season. I wasn't ready, but needed to compete in this race as a means of getting ready for later efforts. So, check my ego at the line, and dig in for a good workout.

I entered the Cat 1,2,3 race along with 16 others, some of the top cyclocross riders in the state ( Brian Eppen, Tony Nichols, Cam Kirkpatrick, John Olney, JJ Bailey, etc.) These top guys were definately ready to roll, and I really didn't see them much until they lapped me (along with everyone else) late in the race.

I can't really say my result of 14th out 0f 17 is a success, but then again, this is the 'A' race, so really doesn't dampen my spirits any (worst of the best).

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/bikeiowa/message/8193

It should be noted that I was planning a nice 'attack' on the two guys ahead of me, midway into the race, until I wiped out hard, taking a corner too fast. Bloody elbow, and shin, not too mention finishing the last 5 laps with a bent brake lever and mis-aligned steering column, (ah, the fun of cyclocross).

So, in my world I could have possibly pulled off a 12th place, which I believe would have been the 3rd or 4th Cat 3 finisher. I am only going to get stronger, faster and lighter from here on out, aiming for a nice peak sometime in November.

This weekend I will be doing a 5k cross-country run, combining that with some cycling later in the day and on sunday should make for a good fitness builder. Then looking forward to racing with the guys from the Quad City area. Not sure if they are in as good of shape as these Des Moines area guys, so will be an intersting day.

1 comment:

Godfather Marco said...

Thanks for coming over last weekend - great day for cx!