Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Drop and give me 50

Not much cycling related to talk about since I didn't go to altoona last weekend to race. So, might as well share part of my current fitness routine.

BOOT CAMP:

I am in week two of 'Sargeant Stange's Boot Camp'. This class meets twice weekly and we do all sorts of 'basic training' type exercises including: push-ups, sit-ups, flutter kicks, side steps, step ups, lunges, planks, supermans, jump ropes, line jumps, iso squats, jump squats, power cleans, grasshoppers, up-downs, etc.

I haven't been in real 'basic training' for the military, but I assume our instructor has, so this is possibly good insight into some of the preparation soldiers experience as part of their service to our country.

Each effort goes to the point of physical failure, then we keep going. Very intense and good to build both physical and mental strength. The extra muscle won't help much with my power to weight ratio this fall, but come winter, I will enjoy having an increased metabolism, especially at rest, since muscle burns more calories.

Is this good for my cycling? Of course... many of the bike races are basically 'battles' against the enemy forces. Sure they aren't wearing camoflouge, rather bright clashing colors. And perhaps, the only weapons, or their highly inflated egos and well trained cardio vascular engines, but still, some parallels.

When a race comes down to that final effort, maybe I will be able to push through that last mental obstacle and win the battle. If not, then I will live to fight another day, because just because I didn't win the battle, doesn't mean I can't win the war.

Now, on to the front lines (aka, my basement), for an all out assault against the forces of the fitness dvd, that threaten to dominate my winter.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

finally a post that I can read and finish without falling asleep. 40 paragraph posts are not what blogging is about, those are called novels.

so with all this working out do you think you will sack up and actually race in all your races in the coming year?

having and maintaining a biking blog should mean that you actually race and dont call it a day after pulling a quad or bonking on your training ride with the local "meet once a week bike group".

We need you to perform to make all the kids in the world salute you in your spandex superhero outfit!!!

Do it for the kids!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chad Bishop said...

Hmmm, the commments are becoming slightly more noteworthy than my blog entries, although sort of offensive... that's alright.

Any reinforcement, from time to time, from fellow cyclists, etc. would be appreciated. I do realize, however, that this can't always be considered a 'serious' cycling blog, I just am curious who my readership is so I can post accordingly. I truly do enjoy getting some serious/positive comments mixed in with these others.

Anonymous,
Oddly, that was a sort of motivating comment, as I indeed was thinking about canning the rest of cyclocross season, but knowing the 'kids' of the world still need a hero, may help motivate me to compete this sunday in Moline, Ill.

Butch,
Sorry, that was just a bit too vile, so I had to delete your comment. I don't want to completely scare off all of this blog's readers. Sorry to hear about your unfortunate jail time encounters, however, and thanks for serving our country and for reading this blog.

Doug said...

Ok, how about this: 'go race'; there you go.

Now you will post in April how you won by 58 seconds in a solo break in your first crit of the year.

Doug said...

...and ride fast...

Anonymous said...

if you can perform exercises past what you perceive as "failure" doesn't that mean you really don't know how much of a failure you really are?

Think about that.