Monday, November 10, 2008

Moline Illinois Cross Report

Cold and grey was the day.

I had just put on some new treads, and overzealously pumped them up. Why is that of importance? Because this created a very bumpy scenario. Ok, I am putting this in writing, so I make sure to never inflate my tires to over40psi for a race. Everyone I talked to was inflating to around 33psi. Hmm, I thought maybe I could have an advantage by going with 50psi, but I didn't... it was bumpy and uncomfortable.

Speaking of uncomfortable, my fingers were becoming numb from the cold. I was hoping to start the race just to get warmed up. Actually, I was thinking about not starting the race and going home. Not an option as I had already paid my entry fee. Fine, let's race.

So, line up for the Cat 3/4 race, get called a sandbagger a few times, and tear off. I had the jump on everyone and led a good portion of the first lap. Am I on time for a next day delivery, or is everyone plotting against me, waiting to attack? I didn't like the feeling of all those people following me, so I laid off a bit. Sort of made me self-conscious. Maybe I laid off too much, because about 8 people passed me...

Hmm, that is less than ideal. At least everyone wasn't staring at me anymore, being the leader is a lot of pressure.

Ok, pedal harder... bumpy and I was braking too much. Being in ninth place was hard on my ego. Why were people I beat last race ahead of me? Well, no use stressing myself out over that, I can use this time to figure out what I am going to do later in the day. Probably won't be hungry, perhaps thirsty. Too bad I don't like football, I could watch TV and eat potato chips.

Wait a minute... I don't actually suck. Sure I did graciously except a Lance Armstrong poster at the registration desk, but that doesn't mean I have to follow in his footsteps of mid-pack finishing at cross races. Hmm, maybe some people, like Lance, are just better on the road, and others are better on the dirt. It would be great to just be awesome at everything, but maybe not as realistic.

Fine, now that I have lost contact with the top three racers (Abbot, Adam Price and Kevin McConnel) I can start in with some mantras... Let's try 'keep it smooth' for a while. Alright, that is working. I am not falling behind anymore. In fact, the group ahead of me is going slower than what I fell like going.

Pause the report... the squeaking of my front brakes is overwhelming. I really wish my front brakes didn't squeak, I feel guilty about all that noise pollution, plus I think sometimes I startle the riders ahead of me.

Ok, Carl Buchanan was watching the race and shouted out 'dig deep' to me. Cool, let's try that mantra for awhile... Bingo.

I set my sights on my taking back some glory. First target, ben shockey. His rear wheel slipped out from under him, for just a split second, and as if a shark smelling blood, I knew he was weakening. Attack, pass, gap, next target...

Chris Reed... Same plan, another guy who is a great racer, but who I felt I could beat, so I did. Follow for awhile to get a feel for his rhythm... Attack, pass, gap, next target...

Will Greenwood... Ah, always fun to pass the B2U uniform, though usually next too impossible. But, alas this one was worn at half mast, whatever that means, so I followed his wheel for a bit, realizing that I would be able to overtake his position, just a matter of timing.

Ok, now is good, on a straightaway, since I seem to suck on barricades and run-ups. Add a little salt and pepper and ask the waiter for the check.

Well, I suppose it is a bit too early to leave the restaurant, since the race is only half over and still plenty on my plate. Next target... Kyle Williams. Attack, pass, gap, next target...

Ok, that is a lie, he was just a bit too far ahead and holding his position well. Fine, what position does that leave me in? Fifth. Whatever, I will take it. So, time to go into defensive mode, which basically means don't lauch yourself into a tree, or slide through a corner. I was getting a larger gap on the 4 guys behind me with each lap. How many more of these bumpy laps are left? 3.

Three laps... this is the part of the race that is very uneventful. Because cross racing is sort of like a time trial in some ways, you are at some point locked into your pace, in that you pedal as hard as you can, and that is what it is.

A DICE guy had snuck into the mix somehow and was sort of closing the gap as the last lap began. Cool, that will give me something to focus on while I wait for the race to get over.

Through the first bumpy section. Pedalling hard, but not effectively as the rear wheel seems to be hopping all over the place. Now for the barricades... squeak of the brakes, scaring off some birds, then turtle toe through. Now for a less than graceful 'superman' remount.

There was a cool part of the course where you could fly downhill and get a sort of adrenaline rush as you almost caught air. That was fun, then a patch of sidewalk. I really do enjoy pavement. Maybe I should try some road racing next spring.

The race paid back 6 places so I got a fancy typed envelope with green bills inside. Always fun to win money.

Perphaps the courses will suit me better in two weeks in bettenforf, and I can time a good fitness peak. Optionally, this course did suit me, and I will continue to fall down the rankings. Can't wait to find out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Again this was not a blog report. This was a autobiography of nothing. You have to try and create chaos within your peers. You just blabber. And whats with you being racist towards Butch. Now if your white your post is posted, but if your not white then you get deleted. WTF.

Anonymous said...

Chad,

The nation has spoken, its time for a



CHANGE.




look at that man, look at that man in the mirror.....

and make that...



CHANGE.......

Anonymous said...

Anonymous, you are awesome. Totally rad. I like your speaches. The part about the mirror, just totally click with me. The only thing I know I wont be able to change is me rippin into Chad about how lame his blog is. We should all expect his blog to be lame, I mean come on he takes photos of himself riding his bike. How lame is that. Keep up the good lame

Chad Bishop said...

'man in the mirror'...Alright, a michael jackson reference... the anonymous comments have reached a new low. Sure, it may be completely natural to share your bed with a child in MJ's world, but not sure it makes sense on this blog.

lameness... Not sure what I can do to appease the anonymous masses, but I will seek to entertain and enlighten, even in the midst of the dreaded 'cyclocross' season.

Anonymous said...

Chad if I ran your blog I would have deleted your comment. WHat you said was no worse then what Butch wrote a few days ago. And you didn't even mention why you are a racist.
I hate to tell you this, but there is no white, black, purple, red amserica, blue america. There is the United State of America. And that is Change we can believe in. God Bless you and God Bless The United States of America.
This add was paid for Change we can Believe in for Chad's Blog Space. Which we hope one day will just be taken off line, but then what would we do. Celebrate?

P.S. I saw you race cross the other weekend. Have you thought about becoming a ballerina. the way you prance around the course if for a good laugh.