Monday, June 22, 2009

Hummer Hammer Race Report

I was excited to enjoy Father's Day racing underneath the Quad Cities Air Show at the Hummer Hammer. The DICE team puts on a good race with nice payouts, food and organization, however the turnout wasn't very good (competing regional races, rain forecast, father's day conflict?...not sure).

The Cat 3 race was plagued with rain which made for a very slow pace, especially initially. Ok, there were only 7 people that entered in a race that paid back $350 for 5 spots. This is a very generous payout and everyone had great odds.

We raced 18 laps for a total of about 23 miles. Once I had a feel for the corners I began to get antsy with the pace. The smart thing would have been to chill until the last lap, but I thought I would try my hand at dropping one or two of the riders. With only 6 riders (one guy bailed), I had to basically attack my own attacks. I wasn't really fully committed to the attacks either, so basically just setting tempo for no apparent reason, during the last 10 laps.

No one dropped off, so all five of the remaining riders attacked at the second to last corner. I hung on and sprinted to 4th place as all 6 of us basically were at the line at the same time.
1st: Jerome Rewerts - All Nine Yards
2nd: Chris Reed - HBA
3rd: Bruce Grell - DICE
4th: Chad Bishop - Harper's Racing Team/Melon City Bike Club
5th: Doug Klahsen - All Nine Yards
6th: not sure

'The Main Event'.

Feeling a little tired from that race, I lined up for the longer and more comptetitve Cat 1,2,3 race. All Nine Yards had 3 guys, Bikes2You had 4, DICE had Derek Cassady, then myself and former pro Jeff Bradley.

The attacks were frequent with All Nine Yards covering the alternating Bikes2You moves. So, with one green and one yellow jersey up ahead, I had to decide whether to bridge up or not. The times I did, I brought the group with and had to endure a counter attack, the times I didn't they blocked.

About 5 laps into this very hot 22 lap race Sean Walker(Bikes2You) and Jerome Rewerts(All Nine Yards) were up ahead. The others blocked leaving me and the DICE rider with the task of bringing that break back (for some reason Jeff Bradley dropped out). Alas, the problem, if it got brought back, the riders that sat in would counter. Ok, racing solo against teams doesn't always work out.

So, the second group became a race for the last three paying spots ($450 for the five spots). Derek (DICE) was probably still hoping to get in to the break so he was riding agressively, while Bryan Moritz and Will Greenwood were probably mostly interested in shedding me from the group while maintaining a gap for Sean.

The attacks and counter attacks popped me and Finn (Bikes2You). Finn tried to get back on, but ended up following my wheel for the last half of the race as I rode at my threshold. I was hoping that one or two of the riders from the second group would pop, so I could get back into the money spots.

They kept their gap, but I didn't let up, though it was very tempting, as it seemed like it was four against one. Eventually, Derek fell off the group and I passed him (with Finn in tow). Ok, now I am in 6th place chasing Will, Bryan and Lane Anderson, I just need one of those guys to throw in the towel.

Towards the end of the race, they eased off the pace momentarily and I was only about 5 seconds back... I tried to surge, but it was into the head wind. They noticed how close I was and turned up their pace.

This was a very hot and grueling process. Sure it was basically like a time trial, so I was in my element, but mentally and physically this was daunting. With about 2 laps to go Will was popped from the group as I believe the three were making their final moves to race for 3rd. Could this work out for me?

Unfortunately, Will still had the stamina to hold me off. Finn played his team role well, and then attacked me during the last lap to get 6th.

I was screwed from the start of this thing, but what great training for the Tour of Wisconsin this week. Jerome, who also raced in the cat 3 event, proved to be ultra strong, making the break, and then working with Sean to hold off the field.

Off to Wisconsin for 6 races Tuesday through Friday.

1 comment:

Doug said...

Attack your own attacks... ok... I'll just keep reading and make no smart a-s comment...

Racing solo... could you join one of these other teams in your area? Or are you black listed :)?