Friday, June 12, 2009

It's about to hit the fan

Well, not much going on, currently, but my race calendar is alive with anticipation as this will be a great summer of bike racing. Once it kicks in next week, I will be racing frequently all summer long.

In fact, during my cycling vacation at the end of June, I counted that I will potentially be racing 11 times over 9 days. I can't wait to read my blog after that experience is all said and done. So many different ways that can turn out... crashing, winning, quiting, attacking, crying, cheering, dropping, sketching, thriving, reinforcing, crushing, etc.

This week it has been fun to keep an eye on the Nature Valley Grand Prix in Minnesota. Former Iowa residents Amanda Miller, Tom Zirbel and Nick Frye are of interest. I also like to look to see how far down on the results Floyd Landis is. He needs to start doing whiskey shots, because he really doesn't seem to be much of a factor these days. Also, Steve Tilford is always noteworthy, and dutifully updates his blog about the race. I learn a lot from his wisdom.

This weekend the amateurs get to tear it up during Cat 2/3 races at Nature Valley. I am not free to go, but I know quite a few Cat 2's are making the trip, excited to not have to battle against Pro/1's for a change. Maybe the concept of Cat 2/3 races will catch on, as it can be quite an upgrade jump for a Cat 3 who then has to race against Pros and Cat 1's. Imagine how cool it would be to have a Cat 2 only race during, for example, the Memorial Day Weekend Races.

The 2009 Memorial Day weekend races didn't go all that well, however I can now make the most of those races by using the knowledge, fitness, experience, etc to hopefully perform well throughout the summer.

No comments: