Sunday, September 20, 2009

Harvest Hammer Duathlon...Victory


I am happy to report that I prevailed victorious, winning the 2009 Harvest Hammer Duathlon in Morrison, Illinois.   This event included a 5k run followed by a 21 mile bike segment. The bike leg was 2 laps with rolling terrain, including a couple out-of-the-saddle inclines...RESULTS.

I tried to add some running workouts into my routine about a month ago, however knew that this was still going to be the weakest part of my race. As the run progressed, I kept my sights on the apparent duathletes, and even counted the gaps from time to time, basically hoping to limit my losses until I could get on my bike.

With about half a mile left in my run I saw the first cyclist whiz by me, Bryce Mead of Team Jelly Belly. Luckily, he was in the team competition, as this would have been hugely demoralizing otherwise. I tried to mark the duathletes as they passed me on their bikes while I was still running. I actually was having an OK run, so there ended up only being 3 competitors ahead of me as I got on my bike.

It takes quite a few miles to get adjusted from the running effort to the cycling effort. Basically, your heart rate is already pegged near max from the first pedal stroke, and the goal is to allow it to slowly lower back down to Lactate Threshold (sort of backwards). Once it eventually did, it was game on, as I was finally in my element.

I passed local Muscatine duathlete, Tim Armstrong, early on, however didn't see anyone else for quite some time. Nothing really to do at this point, except execute a solid time trial effort. Eventually I saw some small figures way up the road.

I passed Brian Parker next (who had an amazing 5k of around 17min.). It wasn't until the second lap that I overtook Steve Meek for the lead. This is where it got a little wierd, as he began to draft me. This isn't an officially sanctioned race, so this wasn't technically illegal, just sort of odd, considering the nature of the event. He wasn't right on my wheel, just sort of bilking a little relief within my wake from time to time, not a big deal.

I couldn't shake him until many miles later during the head wind section. I went to the far left of the road, and he respectfully stayed to the right. With a widening gap, things were looking good. Unfortunately, I didn't really know that I was the individual leader at that point, so I couldn't enjoy the moment.

Then the unthinkable began to happen... cramps. My calves completely locked up and I couldn't pedal. You have got to be kidding me? I did panic, then realized I could still pedal a bit if I kept my feet flat and slid back on my seat. I figured Steve would overtake me and began to adjust to being the 'first loser'. Miraculously the cramping subsided and Steve was still no where in sight.




I pedalled to the line and grabbed my popsicle stick. It had a '201' on it, which was a good sign that I had indeed won the individual event. Mission accomplished... I have been meaning to race this event for quite some time, and glad that I not only entered it, but was fortunate enough to have the strength to win it as well. Thanks to the organizers and city of Morrison for promoting a great event. (addt'l photos by www.mattucker.com)

3 comments:

Carl Buchanan said...

Nice work!!

Doug said...

What happened with the comments options disappearing? I was starting to think I made one too many dumb comments...

How did you know who was a duathlete?

Just one run in the race? Or was it run/bike/run?

Chad Bishop said...

Doug, no comment, on the 'disappearing comments'.

You can tell duathletes based on their clothing. Runners wear loose shorts, no shirt, etc, whereas the duathletes have on skin/tri suits of some sort and look more uncomfortable as they 'run'.

And this was a run/bike only, so it favored unbalanced duathletes with a stronger bike.