Monday, September 28, 2009

Iowa Cross Season has begun.

I ventured up to the Capital City Cross Race in Des Moines on  Saturday.  I am glad that I went as I got some good training and technique tune-up. 

The course began with two barriers that resulted in a run-up situation.  I couldn't believe how winded I was from just walking up this hill during my warm-up...  There was also a sand trap area... if you hit the line just right you could breeze through it, but if you wavered (as I did every time except once) you ended up really having to grind your way through the last portion.  Then a really quick grass downhill that ended with a 180 degree turn onto pavement, that really got the brake pads warmed up (based on the burning smell I noticed almost every lap).

This part of the course ended up being my downfall, as my chain proved to be on its last legs and couldn't withstand the abuse caused by the power grind that was necessary immediately after that corner.

For my first race, the CX 3 event, there was a pretty noticeable gap of about 4 riders right from the start (Kyle Sedore, Mario Hernandez, Steve Robinson and Jim Cochran).  This was definately discouraging, however  with cross racing you never know what might happen, so it is best to just keep your head focused on riding as efficiently as possible.

My chain popped off  to the left of the front sprocket during an early lap after that 180 degree downhill switch back.  I tried pedalling it back on but it actually then went up and over the other side.  Crap... I lost a bunch of places, but got back on and tried to regain my position.  I exhanged positions with guys like Pete Basso, Lane Anderson, Matt Gumm and Chad Vandelune throughout the race and ended up finishing 5th out of 13.

Cat 1,2,3
My lower back was extremely sore from carrying my bike up that hill, but for an extra $5, why not see how things pan out in the 'main event'?  Ok, I could think of about 100 reasons, but I lined up anyway, as I was contemplating staying in town to race again on Sunday, and didn't have anything better to do.

I suppose this race was just about getting more experience and training as guys like JJ Bailey, Tony Nichols, Nate Kullborn, etc  were going to be next to impossible to beat out for the 3 paying positions.  I figure just get out and race, support the cause, give the crowd someone to heckle, etc.

This race started fast, and by the time the first lap finished there were about 5 guys establishing a serious gap(JJ, Tony, Nate and also Ryan Jacobsen and Paul Deninger).  Fortunately, I was still up for a great battle as Jerome Rewerts, Bryan Moritz, Lane Anderson & Matt Gumm were racing within my grasp. 

The crowd was getting into it, especially around the run-up portion of the course.  Bryan Moritz took advantage of an early beer hand-up, as I believe he might have been a little weary from attending the Dave Matthews concert with Chris Hansen the night before.

Unfortunately, after only a few laps,  my chain malfunctioned again on that 180 degree turnaround.  This time it locked up.  It took forever to 'fix' it.  Nope, it wasn't fixed, it kept slipping and locked up again just past the start/finish.  It took quite some time for me to get it back on.  All of the cheers of encouragement changed to sympathetic booze offerings, and suggestions on ways to cut the course to get back into contention. 
My chain was completly warped... it's time had come.. so I decided to drive home as I wasn't really thrilled about watching others race as I sat their with my chain between my legs. 

I am glad I went, as my body, mind and bike needed this event to set the stage for the rest of the season.  Unfortunately, I can't really race many more of those central iowa races, however the DICE Cyclocross Series is a great production, and going to be my focus.

2 comments:

Carl Buchanan said...

Good to see you in Des Moines, the dropped chain part was bad since I dropped mine at the same time that you did. Way to stay in it in the Cat. 3 race and get a good finish. See you at the DICE races.

Doug said...

Oh, I suck at cross... Got 20 out of 24 on Sunday in the Bs :(... This time of year I hardly ride.

Beer handup?? Do they wave dollar bills as well?

You need a new chain :). I dropped mine too Sunday...

This Saturday there is a night CX race, so I think I will give that a try... better remember to bring a light...