Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Cody Race #1 - Results

The Cody Race took place in Scott County Park and featured 5 rolling and windy circuits.  A very respectable turnout of 46 racers lined up for this mass start event.  Jeremy Gantzer shot out of the gates, stringing things out a bit from the get-go.  I noted that I was envious of  this 'cycling specific' build.  His arms reminded me of Janez Brajkovic's (Team RadioShack)...
This is of particular focus for me this year, as I am torn between looking 'attractive and healthy' or looking like a serious competive cyclist.  Well, it is all about power to weight ratio, from my perspective.  I am 12 pounds heavier than at this time last year... I look and feel great, until I step up to the line and prepare to battle the relevant laws of physics.  When my co-workers start suggesting that I should see a doctor because I look emaciated and disease-stricken, I will know that I have achieved the ideal build to compete against regional cat 1/2 racers. 

Anyway, the winner of Sunday's race, Paul Deninger, has landed himself on a great new team called Velosport Racing.  The team captain is none other than Mr. Jeff Bradley.  There is information about Jeff's racing career on wikepedia, so he must be cool.  (side note, one of my 'bucket list' items is to do something historical enough to get my own wikepedia web page.) Most of the team showed up with completely 'sick' green, white and black Trek Project One racing bikes w/ deep dish wheels:
I will admit, that I was intimidated, especially considering the fact that their racing kits matched perfectly.  Sort of had a 'Rock Racing' look to the whole set-up.  Of course, Paul had to be difficult, by having a red bike that didn't match his teammates'... once again, I have been thwarted by color-coded mental trickery.  At some point, I believe toward the end of the first lap, he created a gap.  I recognized the importance of this move and tried to answer by jumping out of the pack to catch up with him.  Unfortunately, I couldn't answer this move. Well, actually, I did have an answer... it was something to the effect of "crap! not gonna happen", and/or "are you shitting me?".

The Velosport team meant business today, and defended this move well.  Toward the end of the race, Jeff Bradley and Jeremy Gantzer snuck off the front as well, leaving the remants of the chase pack that had eventually dwindled down to just eight of us. 

My team had a great day, especially Greg Harper and Bill Ford who each won their Master's divisions.  Greg made a bold jump for the line at about 500 meters out that proved to be timed almost to perfection as he nearly won the field sprint (Austin Turner nipped him at the line).

Though I was disappointed with my results and my impotent racing tactics for the day, I actually do feel that things are going to come together for me in a big way this season... I can't tell you when or how, but you will know... Just look for the twinkle in my (sunken socketed) eye.

Here are the top 11 finishers:
1 Paul Deninger - Velosport Racing - Iowa City, IA - Cat 1
2 Jeff Bradley -Velosport Racing - Davenport, IA - Cat 1
3 Jerimiah Gantzer -unattached - Bettendorf, IA - Cat 3
4 Austin Turner - Colorbiotics - Iowa City, IA - Cat 3
5 Greg Harper - Harper's Cycling - Muscatine, IA - Cat 2 (50+)
6 Brett Bohanan - Proctor Cycling Team - Pekin,IL  -Cat 5
7 Daniel Galles - Atlas EcoLips Cycling - Iowa City, IA - Cat 3
8 William Ford - Harper's Cycling - Illinois Cilty, IL - Cat 3 (40+)
9 Spencer Oswald - Baraboo Sharks - Dubuque, IA - Cat 3
10 Chad Bishop - Harper's Cycling - Muscatine, IA - Cat 3
11 Kevin McConnell - Mercy-Specialized - Iowa City, IA - Cat 4

2 comments:

Doug said...

Spirit is what you need! You just need to WANT IT more!

You know you can crate your own Wikepedia page. Your a media kind of dude, have at it.

Red does go faster. Paint your bike red, a red paint job is good for an extra 1.125 MPH without anymore training.

Chad Bishop said...

Doug,

Hmm, I like the idea of adding some spirituality to my mental approach to racing.

Red cars get pulled over by police more often so speeding... so maybe a red bike would go faster.

hmmm, I need to accomplish something a bit more profound before I get into wikepedia.