Monday, March 1, 2010

Confounded in Kalona

The last indoor event of the year didn't go according to plan.  In fact, I was so upset by my dismal result that I went home and did an endurance tempo session on the rollers.  Got in 50 miles for the day, and felt a little better, having 'punished' myself for ending things on such a sour note.  I was also encouraged by the notion that I was now free to shift my focus to the outdoor racing season.

What went wrong?  Not sure... I can just say that after Shawn Loomis posted a 5:11 (a full 13 seconds slower than his time from the week before), I began to smile in anticipation of winning the the Cat 1/2/3 category for the day.  I had been logging results under 5:10 for the last two weeks, and figured the extra boost from the racing environment would push me well under 5:10.  Unfortunately, I may have gotten greedy, and set my sights on breaking my personal sub 5 minute goal.  My estimated finish time was at 4:55 at about the 1 mile mark, but things began to slip after that, all the way down to 5:16... crap.

A new Iowa team "Twisted Spokes" hosted this event, and they did a nice job, as we had plenty of space, and good food/drink.

Weight and endurance matter on the open roads, as compared to indoor training/racing, so March will begin a new routine.  I think I may be able to attend the first of three 'Iowa Spring Classic Races' in Grinnel this weekend, but if not, for sure the 2nd one in Iowa City.  Since these races are on both gravel and road, I may end up bringing two bike set-ups and deciding at the scene, regarding which one to ride.

4 comments:

Doug said...

This weekend? Is there still snow on the ground? I am not going to start racing until the last weekend in March. There is a dirt road race the weekend before, but don't want to go.

Chad Bishop said...

Yes, still snow on the ground but 'racing bikes in iowa' includes getting down and dirty.

Brief list of this Saturday's race amenities: snow, sand, ice patches, gravel, ashphalt, road kill, snot, dog slobber, puddles, rocks, mud, coughed-up blood, honking red necks, projectile dirt clumps, frozen toes,etc.

This is sort of a cyclocross race without the running or advertant obstacles.

john said...

Chad - glad you made it to the roller race. Congratulations on great roller results.
Same old team - new name,
John

Landon said...

An amazing season any way you look at it!!! Thanks for coming.