Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Doing the Running Man

Left: Post race group photo featuring Muscatine runners.  Right: Time Trialing w/o a bike... time check right at the finish.
I have never been so busy as I have been the last several weeks.  I have been trying to hang on to my fitness, but it has been a struggle.  Regrouping for the fall season, however was ultimately in my best interest.  I read an article about cyclocross peaking that mentioned how a lot of roadies start the fall season in great shape, then burn out by mid october because they don't take enough time off between seasons... well, inadvertantly, I did take some time off... maybe a good thing as I am starting to slowly get my life back in order and can realistically see myself being somewhat competitive.

Training for cyclocross is very confusing for me... some workout plans suggest to add running to your weekly routine... ok, so I did.  I even entered a couple local 5k running events and was rewarded with getting a couple of 1st place medals (ok, they were age-grouper style, but still noteworthy).  I tried riding around in a park near my house to simulate a cyclocross race... I got a flat... maybe a sign?

I am seriously looking into doing an indoor triathlon this winter to give me a goal event. I will be able to look forward to adding swimming to my workout options this winter.  I am also in the begining stages of organizing a duathlon that will take place at Wild Cat Den State Park (between Muscatine and Quad Cities) next May.  This will be a great experience, and will motivate my early season fitness.

I think I will try and do about 5 or 6 of the Eastern Iowa Cyclocross Series events and see if I can finish in the top 4. 

If all goes according to plan, I will have some race reports/photos from some of the cyclocross races this season, and maybe some of the other events (running, indoor tri, duathlon, misc.).  I will maintain the right to totally skip cyclocross this year, but really can't see that happening, as I have a bit of an addiction to competitive cycling... Of course, my apologies in advance for any posts that get a little funky... I am a bit out of sorts in the fall and winter, so my mind ventures in some odd places.

Bobbers Cross in North Liberty, and the Harvest Hammer Duathlon in Morrison, Il are racing options this weekend,  so  I might write a report or two next week.

No comments: