Monday, June 6, 2011

Gravel State Champ Race Review

The combined fields rolling down the gravel early in the race.
John Sulzberger flatted midway.
I decided to tackle some Iowa gravel Saturday at the 2011 Gravel Championships near Kalona Iowa.  I really don't ride on gravel, but needed a break from solo training rides; this event seemed like it would be a great workout, not to mention an opportunity to earn a state USA cycling medal.

 No payouts in this event, but always good support, organization, and a chance to do some inter-squad training, depending on who showed up.  The Twisted Spokes guys always do a good job with their events.  So, I put my old road bike and cyclocross in my vehicle and headed to the Iowa backroads.

There didn't end up being a lot of competition within each category of racing, so earning a medal really came down to showing up and then finishing for most competitors... easier said than done.  There were a lot of flats during the races, due to the erratic terrain, and it was hot and hilly.

I opted to ride my road bike, which made sense for most of the course.  However, there was a section that had fresh gravel that would have been nice to have a different set-up.  My bike was rattling quite a bit, and dodging potholes was necessary.  Gravel racing really is a unique experience.

The field slowly getting smaller.  Eventually, it
became a group of four guys.
I eventually went to the front and started driving the pace, off and on, to hopefully whittle things down a bit.  Riding on the gravel was nerve-wracking enough without having other people around.

We ended up with a group of four guys that included Kevin Temple (BikeWorld/Bikes2You) and teammate Paul Deninger.  It was fun to have a chance to use some tactical racing against Kevin, and I knew Paul was thinking the strategy through.  Just as things were about to start getting ugly, Kevin flatted.  Yeah, this would have been a welcomed twist of fate, however I was looking forward to the training effect and opportunity to earn a victory on my own merits.

We slowed down for him, but eventually realized he had actually flatted both tires, so he was out.  The fourth rider ended up not being able to race at our pace, so me and Paul had the Gold and Silver Medals wrapped up, with two laps of the race to go.  We talked about what we would have done and also some past races, keeping the pace brisk, to offer a good workout.

Paul suggested I could take the Gold, since he got it last time we raced in the Gravel Champs... and, thus, I am the 2011 Cat 1,2 Iowa State Gravel Champ...  Yee Ha!
Nice shot of the competitors rolling across the gravel roads of Richmond, Iowa.

Referee Brett Griggs enjoying a nice Iowa afternoon.

No comments: