Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Alpha Dog

The last two training rides I have done have been odd.  Guys were bickering, going their own routes, dropping off, arguing about routes/tactics, etc..  At first I thought it was the heat, then I realized that the 'alpha dog' was missing from each ride.  The group training rides I have participated in always have some sort of unspoken leader. When that leader is not in attendance, the group isn't as cohesive.  Communication and group decision making becomes more important.

Groups rely on leaders for a variety of reasons.   Teams that have a designated leader or two seem to function better, in my opinion.  It clarifies each rider's roles and helps solidify team tactics and goals. 

This situation isn't all bad, it helps me appreciate the finer aspects of riding alone.  You don't have to second guess when you are going to turn, you don't have to worry about hurting someone's feelings, you don't have to worry about defending your own ego, etc.  You just ride...  It helps to be introverted, as I am, when riding alone.  I can have great conversations with myself.  I theorize that extroverted personality types probably tend to ride more in groups and/or use headphones when riding alone. 

I'm heading up to the BBQ Bike & Blues this weekend in Clear Lake, Iowa.  This will be  a great weekend regardless of the results.  American Equity, however, should be rolling in near full force, so I am quite certain we will accomplish some sort of favorable team outcome.

1 comment:

john said...

Chad - I don't think you are too late to sign up for RAGBRAI - love the rant.
John