Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Hot Riding

Ok, it is hot out these days... Ok, I really don't have much to write about, hence I will resort to a weather related entry.  We had a mild summer last year... this year is more my style.  The heat seems to be effecting the number of people at training rides... this sort of motivates me... maybe this can be my advantage.  I really have trouble dragging myself out for a training ride if it is cold, but never seem to back down from a heat advisory type ride.  You don't have to push yourself very hard for it to get very hard. 

Maybe I can be good in the heat this year... not sure, but if I am than I still will  need a little luck, as the weather will have to cooperate.  I hope the weather for the State Road Race is hot and miserable, for example.  I will then hope I can suffer just that little bit longer than some of the other competitors... maybe not, but races of attrition always seem to leave me feeling satisfied... regardless of my result.

The thermometer on my bike read 108 degrees as I pedalled across portions of my lunch break ride today... I held back a lot... my left brain was a bit over-protective for my tastes, but I guess I should thank it, as I really was asking for trouble.

I lost count, but I have been asked if I was riding RAGBRAI about 20 times already this month... those who don't ride bikes don't understand that the recreational cycling culture is different from that of the competitive cyclist.  I used to get a bit thrown off with comments like "I can't believe you aren't riding RAGBRAI"... but I realize this is an innocent comment.  I tell a RAGBRAI lie and say I will probably catch the last day or two heading into Davenport...

In fact, the contrary is quite true. I had a hoped to do a team training ride in West Branch on Saturday, over the State Road Race loop, but then realized it would be overtaken by RAGBRAI that day.  Dang. Maybe I can try it on Sunday...  My mom is on RAGBRAI, and I am impressed that she is able to make it across the state year after year, and have a great attititude about it.

No comments: