Thursday, December 8, 2011

Losing body fat the easy way...

It worked!  I lost 5.2% of my body fat in only one week.  The solution was to buy a new scale... I didn't even have to burn any calories going to the store to buy it, I just did some research and ordered one online... and presto!  I am now within the athletic guidlines for body compositions. In fact, my new scales suggests that 12.8% is actually LOW (below NORMAL)... so I am "abnormal"...what a nice thing to say... I really like my new scale.

The trick was that this scale has an "athletic" setting. By this scale's definition, an 'athlete' is anyone who exercises at least 3 times per week for 2 hours at a time. Ok, that is about right.

Apparently, athletes have different hydration and bone density levels that can make the BF readings higher than the reality. This setting compensates for this, providing a reading that is closer to the actual situation.  Of course, I understand that this isn't as accurate as a test done at a medical facilty, but at least I have a baseline measurement that isn't as insulting.
 
Ok, here is a guide to estimating body fat VISUALLY... in case you just want to use the mirror...
Lowest body fat and possible comparison to skeletal muscle.

You can start to see loss of definition as levels increase.


After 30%, there is truly no need to attempt visual estimations
Yeah,that 14% guy seems about right... he's a little too muscular to be any good at bike racing, but definately seems to represent a reasonable and attainable body composition. Does everyone look alike at the same body fat percentage?  No, not at all. Body fat percentage isn’t an indicator of your amount of lean body mass. The amount of muscle your body has is going to make a significant difference in your overall look.


 
The guy on the left has 15 pounds more muscle than the guy on the right. However, the guy on the right could ride his bike up a hill with 75 watts less power and still reach the summit at the same time... Crap, I guess I do aspire to look like the guy on the right.

Hmm, I can't resist posting a visual guide for the ladies...
Well, if I had to rate these pictures on attractiveness the 11% and 15% gals would be at the bottom of the scale, simply not 'feminine'.  It is noteworthy how major the gender differences are concerning healthy body fat guidelines and attractiveness... the 20% gal is easily the most "attractive", in my opinion... but even the 30% gal seems somewhat acceptable...  but please, ladies, whatever you do, don't let your bodyfat fall below 11%...not a pretty situation...
Gals with 8% body fat are scary for a lot of reasons.
References: http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

1 comment:

Angel said...

Thank you for saying what you thought was attractive and acceptable for the ladies...not what I would have assumed. Pass that along to society please. :)