Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Hillsboro Roubaix... "I Can't See Clearly Now..."

"... the Rain Won't Go Away"...
The Pro, 1,2 field as it journeys along the slippery course early on in the 87 mile event.
My race was over the night before this event, as I glanced at the weather forecast and noticed that there was a 70% chance of thunderstorms at the race start.  I loaded up my 'training gear' anticipating lots of equipment damage.  Oh well, there is always next time.  I decided to follow through with my commitment to race, mainly because I didn't want to stick one of my teammates with the bill for a full room fee, since we had reserved them as a block.  Yeah, I know, this is a pathetic situation so far... but just be glad I have to the courage to even post a report, considering that much of the experience was basically a nightmare. 

Many pre-registered riders decided not to race considering the rain that was drenching the course... a course that is already infamous for its narrow, tire-shredding, ego-deflating tendencies.  This race is so popular, however, that their spots were soon filled... and 100 Pro/Cat 1,2's started off on our journey.   The female referee acknowledged our masculinity, referring to our courage to enter the race despite the conditions.  This was a chance to proudly display your 'man-card'...

Why... you may ask... well, you see, everyone in this race is completely focused on only one thing... Staying  near (but not at) THE FRONT. Basically, if you aren't moving forward, you are moving backward.  So, 100 skilled, experienced, and accomplished competitors were all very urgently trying to get nestled in to the top 30 spots.  The course twists and turns, and is very narrow, so gaps form often around the corners.  I don't care who you are, or what steroid you have injected, you aren't going to catch back on to this field if you are at the back of the field.  By the time the lead guy makes it around the corner and is cruising along at over 30mph 100 yards up the road,  the guys in back are still creeping around the corner at about 10mph... it is virtually impossible to catch back up.  Sure you can do it for awhile, but eventually all the extra energy you waste gets the best of you.

So, all 100 of us can't make it to the front.  Hmm, how should we decide who gets to stay in this race, and who gets relegated to the back?  Basically comes down to who wants it more... the "Bike Bullies"... perhaps... the guys at the playground that mock the weak and push there way to the front of the lunch line... they seem to be the ones who prosper in these circumstances.

I could suggest that those with the most courage make it to the front... but, in actuality it is way more dangerous to be in the back of large pelotons.  Statistically, you are far, far, more likely to get caught up in a crash.  So, they don't necessarily have more courage... they aren't smarter (we all know we should be at the front)... they are just more assertive about getting there.  Sort of Darwinism (survival of the fittest)... only the strong survive.  If you have the slightest reservation about the situation, you will lose a ton of places and be at the back of this race.
Iowa racer, Brian Eppen, had success getting to the front of the race, and even managed to establish a three-man
breakaway group that stayed away most of the race.  Unfortunately, a flat tire eventually cost him his chance at victory.
One of the many decisions to make when it starts to rain is whether or not to wear protective eye wear.  Teammate Paul Deninger suggested that it is impossible to see with glasses on, but I noticed others in the field had them on, so I kept them on.  What was I thinking?  Just like a windshield on a car, you simply can't see when it is raining unless you have some way of clearing off the lens.  So, honestly, I couldn't see what in the hell was going on at the start of this race. 

Unfortunately, success in this race depends on executing a great start ... Everyone is trying so urgently to get in front of the next guy, creating a huge amount of inertia.  No one is actually putting the hammer down, so-to-speak, rather they are just trying to stay in front of the handlebars of the guy next to them... if everyone is doing this, then the speed accelerates until it reaches critical mass.  Add the corners, wind, and narrow roads and it wasn't long before the guys in the back were pinched off.
"Can you see me now?"... I definitely can't see you... He, he... I can't even see myself in the photos... very ironic.   
Where was I?  I am thinking that I am the guy in this photo (above) in the blurred out black/green kit... not sure. Still in the race, but not enjoying myself much.  I can't even remember when I got 'dropped'... I really didn't have any idea what was going on... I couldn't see anything, so had no idea where I was or what I was doing.  Sure others had glasses on, and couldn't see anything either, and they did better... it all depended on how you let limited visibility and slippery roads effect you.  Some guys thrive in these conditions... they just have a different internal tolerance to treacherous conditions.  Those guys were smiling at the end of this event...

At some point, the obvious happens, a crash occurs and I maneuver myself into the ditch.  I think this is about where I lost contact with the main field, but there were still so many guys around me that it is hard to say.  At about 20 miles in, however, I was very definitely riding in a much smaller 'chase pack'.  I wasn't completely disappointed, because I finally got a chance to take off my sunglasses ("I can see clearly now").  I literally started singing that song by Johnny Nash.  "Ahh"... Ok, now I just had to contend with the mud being propelled toward my eyeballs.   Do I protect my long-term vision, or my short-term injury exposure?  I went short term.. I have seen a lot in my time on this planet, perhaps blindness wouldn't be so bad.

Good picture that illustrates the effects of the precipitation.
(photos by Dennis Flickinger)
With my new ability to see what was going on, I was happy to notice that I was in a group of some pretty noteworthy guys, including former pro Brian Jensen (Trek/Tradewind) and a guy from the Bissel Pro Development Team.   Hmm, we might just be able to catch back on.  I was trading pulls with these guys, and noticing that not everyone in our group felt comfortable contributing to the chase.  Probably because some of the pulls were downright torturous... these were some strong guys.  I was happy to be getting some good riding in. 

Brian Jensen jokingly suggested that maybe there would be a mass pile-up in the main field that would give us a chance to get back in the race. I appreciated his sense of humor, because ultimately none of us were happy to be chasing the field.  Alas, more carnage presented itself, and we actually got back around the Pro 1,2 follow car.  Maybe my overall placing would end up being a bit more respectable after all.

The race organizer always reminds participants to put on a new set of tires, due to the large number of flats that this race causes.  Dang, I had put on my older set of tires/wheels.  Sure enough, at mile 52 my race officially ended, as I flatted and the group left me behind.  I tried my Vittoria Pit Stop... of course, the hole in my tire was too large.  I hobbled in, deciding to cross the line for two laps, avoiding the dreaded "DNF"... though, in fact, I didn't finish.  I did however crack my HED Stinger carbon rear wheel.  OUCH!  What an expensive insult to add to my mental injury.

This race does indeed have a lot in common with its namesake "Paris Roubaix".  I actually feel like I can relate to the pros I watched on TV the week before.   The narrow roads stretch the field out, making position of utmost importance, just like in Paris.  Thankfully, this is pretty much the hardest race of my season (with respect to the quality of the field and skill/experience level needed to succeed). Sort of re-assuring, as I can now pick on some kids my own size in future events

These Bissel/Nuvo guys must actually be "Pros"...
they swept the podium... nice.

FYI... I have never regretted  entering a race... I have only regretted not starting a race that I had already decided to do... so, rest assured, I am glad that I participated in this legendary event, and look forward to utilizing the newly acquired perspectives and experiences.


---2012 Hillsboro Roubaix Pro 1,2 Results --

No comments: