Thursday, April 10, 2008

Chad Bishop: Road Cat 3, Cyclo-Cross Cat 3

Ok, it's official, I am now an official Category 3 racer... What have I gotten myself into?

I set my sights on this upgrading notion last summer when I won a cat 4/5 race at the Illinois state champs, and got really serious about it after the new year started. I scored points in each of the first four races I entered this year, so I am thrilled to have set a goal and accomplished it. I raced just over two full seasons as a Cat 4 rider, so I paid my dues (in my opinion). I have experience and some success.

Sure I could have waited until 'after memorial day weekend'. That seems to be the big turning point for racers. But, I am not getting any younger, and I would like to get experience racing as a three. And, actually, I would have had over 30 points by then, so would have been automatically upgraded anyway, so it really wasn't a decision of 'if' but 'when'.

Ah, I am really inspired now! Except I am trying a two day taper to allow for a true 'race pace' 5k run this saturday. Yes, I said RUN. That might not be the most logical way to celebrate a cycling upgrade, but I have a slight running addiction. I think it won't be as bad once the weather clears up.

But, then Finchford. Racing 50 miles as a cat 3, instead of 35 as a cat 4, excellent. I look forward to racing with all the riders who upgraded right around me last year, as I sort of 'stalled' out at the beginning of last season. Maybe I'm strong, maybe not, who cares, the cat 3 races will be more my speed (I think, I guess I won't know until I get some under my belt).

Bill Ford, fellow team mate, is upgrading to Cat 3 as well. He claims to have 37 points (by his count... suspicious), but by any means, he is definately way past the stage of racing cat 4's. He will probably alternate doing cat 3 and Masters 40+ races.

I will let you know how sunday's race goes, it will be very interesting to see how I debut in this new field of awesome athletes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chad,
Congratulations on your upgrade to Cat 3. I know you are rather new to cycling and in that short time you have accomplished a lot. Keep up the good work.

Lonnie

Unknown said...

Congrats Chad