Saturday, April 12, 2008

Does that mean I am a Duathlete not a Roadie?

Ran the Hayes Hustle 5k this morning, and I did pretty good. I won my age division and came in under 20 minutes, which was my goal. I came in at 19:45, which is about 6:21 pace per mile. This ended up being 8th place overall. I won a mug, and some GU, yee haw!
I hadn't ran at all on concrete, so wasn't sure what to expect. Me and my treadmill, however, have become well acquainted throughout this horrific winter/early spring.

That is the fitness assessment I needed to prepare for the Duathlon in Davenport May 4th. Luckily(?) the hummer hammer is cancelled, so my calendar is freed up to enter this race. Otherwise, I would maybe have had to do the bike race instead.

What does this mean for the Bike Race in Finchford this sunday? Well, my legs feel sore already, so I am thinking that might not be my strongest race. I really just hope to get the mileage, and use the ride as training (since my mileage is a bit off this week). I won't sacrifice any more bike races for running, though (I hope).

Racing for the first time as a Cat 3 on sunday, I was second guessing myself as I rested for two days to taper for the 5k run. However, I got the result that I wanted today, so just finishing strong tomorrow will be all good. Who knows, maybe this running stuff won't even be an issue. It was only 3.1 miles after all. On the other hand, that was 100% max effort for just under 20 minutes, that will probably be a factor.

No comments: