Monday, January 26, 2009

Time to for the next challenge...

I am adding a little more challenge to my 2009 racing calendar by becoming a grad student. Initially, I thought I would have to cut back on my racing, or at least start sandbagging more by reminding everyone that I can't train as much with all of my homework... but after getting a handle on my first syllabus, no worries. Western Illinois is my chosen school.. they were excited to have me...Now back to my regularly scheduled blogging...

-BIKES 2 U ROLLER RACE - JAN. 25TH, 2009-

Well, not too much to say about this one... I went up, rode hard and then went home. I enjoyed seeing the B2U headquarters, and socializing with various Iowa racers.

For my race I didn't do as well as in my first three races, but did manage to score the second fastest time of the day at 5:21.1. There were a total of 9 competitors in the senior 1,2,3 category, including Tracy Thompson who split the day by winning the Cat 1,2,3 event but then conceding victory to Shawn Loomis by less than a second in the Master's race.

Results: http://www.muscatinecycling.com/ResultsArchive.html

All of the Bikes 2 U team is now a Cat 1 or 2. Just a note for any fellow midwest racers, because this should be another great year from them. Team mentor Sean Walker explained that the team was already building some serious base miles and expects the newly upgraded Cat 2's to have a great early season start.

For me personally, completing this race marks the transition that now begins as my roller season is basically over. To acknowledge this, I am vowing to refrain from my monday night 9-10 mile treadmill routine, and opt instead to do some sort of cycling specific workout. Even though I may be 4 or 5 weeks from even thinking about riding outside, the spring racing season is just around the corner.

I will most likely race the last roller race of the year, but that isn't until march 1st in Cedar Falls. I won't be as specifically 'training' for it, but hope to keep my form and maybe even nudge my PR up a bit. Barring any late roller phenoms emerging, I should have the silver medal in the Iowa Cat 3 roller championship locked up based on my first three times. However, currently I am 'the leader on the road' with an average of about 5:18, with the next Cat 3, Shawn Loomis, currently averaging about 5:22.5.

Maybe I can start off my first racing endeavor of 2009 with a Gold Medal? Check back later to find out if I pulled off the 'miracle', in the meantime I will struggle to find something interesting to write about during the next few weeks of 'off-season' workouts.

4 comments:

Joe Mann said...

Yo ujust need to get tougher Chad and come out and ride. I felt like a weanie this weekend for not getting out so I told my wife I was going to ride outside every Saturday and Sunday for the rest of the winter (as long as it is not icy/rain). I will give you a call.

Joe

Chad Bishop said...

Joe,

yes, I suppose a little 'peer pressure' might be just what I need to get a head start on the 2009 racing season.

Doug said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Doug said...
This comment has been removed by the author.