Monday, January 19, 2009

Rollin the Rapids - Review

The roller race held on Sunday, Jan. 18th, in Cedar Rapids Iowa at the Gold Pointe Fitness Center, had a great turnout (a total of 35). More importantly, there were 9 competitors in my Cat 1,2,3 field. It seemed that the 2009 Roller Race Series competition was finally going to take form, as most of the contenders were present.

Namely of note, Bikes2U was in almost full force, most likely to get a little roller time before their race Jan. 25th in Grinnel Iowa. All of the various clubs formed little warm-up camps, through out the exercise room of the event.

As the day played out, the room became more and more stinky. I began regretting my late arrival, because I was realizing the relative heat and humidity was increasing minute by minute, which would cause my heart rate to rise more rapidly.

I had a general idea that I could get a time under 5:20, so I kept an eye on the competitors to see who was challenging. All of the Cat 1,2, 3's were posting good times, but it wasn't until shawn loomis put down a 5:21.9 that I began to feel some pressure. Tracy Thomson then really turned up the heat by posting a 5:16.8. This time was a possibility for me, but just out of my comfort range, so I proceeded to prepare for a very painful endeavor.

As the beings in the room continued to suck all of the oxygen out of the room, I began taking 'pulls' from the outside air supply, made available due to a slightly opened window. Next up, I began clearing my head of negativity and reminded myself of all the reasons I should be able to get a great time today.

All right, I hopped up and began the race. Actually, everything was going according to plan throughout the effort, in that my legs, heart rate, etc. were all performing as usual. I found a fortunate advantage halfway through the race...

Because the race was at a fitness center, there was a glass window we could look out and observe the machine weight/cardio room and it's inhabitants. As you may be able to understand, when trying to get through a painful event, it can be helpful to shift the focus off of the pain, and onto something more pleasant... Bingo, there just happened to be a good looking girl out in the weight room doing some presses/pulls, etc, what a perfect focal point.

Unfortunately, my body wasn't up for any happy thoughts, so that little mental shifting to the left side of my brain was short lived, as the right side quickly regained control, and insisted on making my effort grueling. I painfully hammered out a 5:17.5. This was actually a new PR by .4 of a second, however just shy of Tracy's time. Later in the day, Loomis spoiled the party even more by getting the fastest time of the day at 5:14.5. For three people to finish within three seconds, however, did make for a close battle.

Third place is still 'in the money', and good considering the talent and strength of all in attendance. Expect much of the same next week in Grinnel as I plan to compete there as well, before a four week break from competing in february to transition to spring training in March.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am surprised from reading you blog that you didn't focus your attention on the guy doing squats in the exercise room. Surely the rush of endorphins in both your heads would have easily allowed you to break 5m15s.

Anonymous said...

Nice job Chad! Although, this is ski season :)