Monday, January 5, 2009

2009 Racing Begins... Valley West Wipeout

Yes, it was one year ago, that I started this blog, and one of the first entries was 'First Race/First Win'. I am happy to announce that I can report that 2009 has started even better than 2008, as I won 1st place overall at the Valley West Wipeout Roller Race held in Des Moines, IA, Jan. 4th.

This race took place in a mall... which made the experience sort of 'wierd'...
I quickly hit up the GNC, that was upstairs for some 'secret' nutrional supplements to help powercharge my efforts. Although, there were countless temptations including chocolate shops & pubs that I needed to avoid. Something I couldn't avoid was the color 'orange' as the DMOS team was there in full force hosting and participating in the race...
One consideration for the warm-up, it is important to keep balanced on the rollers, which was sometimes difficult considering the wide array of visual stimulation that was parading around the mall atrium. As evident, Jon Sulzberger put on his sunglasses to conceal his 'wandering eyes'...
I entered the Senior 1,2,3 division of the race. This was my first time Roller Racing as a Cat 3, and I felt a sense of accomplishment, seeing my name listed in this elite category. Initially, however, I was the only one who entered that race, as most of the entrants were from the DMOS team, and cat 5's, women or Masters.

Then, I spotted the competition... two members of Bikes 2 U made the trek to Des Moines, to spin it up... Tracy Thompson and Bryan Moritz. Tracy is notoriously invincible on the rollers, and has been breaking hearts in the discipline for many years. I was definately the underdog.

I stepped up to race with teammate Greg Harper...

I pedalled up to 100rpm and was surpised how easy it felt, so I held it. My 'spotter' indicated that I was at a 4 minute 50 second pace. That would have been huge, however, I always start fast, so not really an indication of much. At .5 miles in, however I was still pacing a sub 5 minute race...

Slowly, the lactic acid built up, and the RPM's dropped and I was able to post a 5:17:7 time. This was actually my PR, as I had gotten a 5:18 last year in Cedar Falls.

It would be quite awhile before the T-man stepped up to the rollers. From past races, I now that he usually just marks the 'time to beat' and then paces himself to beat that time, no more, no less.

I peaked over his shoulder from time to time as he raced, as he hovered initially at around 5:15,then dropped to around 5:20 toward the second half.

Well, you know how this ends, he ended up with a time around 5:20, meaning I got the first place in the cat 1,2,3 race as well as fastest time of the day. Tracy was disappointed and already planning to ride at home later that night, most likely in hopes of winning 1st overall in future races.
The other teammates faired well... Greg Harper got third in the Master's 40+ race and Jon Sulzberger got 4th in the Cat 5 race.

This week, we have the home court advantage, as the race is in Muscatine. This should be a good race, as the quest for gold in the IA Roller Race Championship Series heats up in all divisions.
Here is a listing of the top 10 (all categories) from last years series and their average from three races in 2008:
1) 05:09.133331 Shawn Loomis
2) 05:11.06668 Tracy Thompson
3) 05:23.70001 Chad Bishop
4) 05:30.56668 Lee Venteicher
5) 05:32.93335 Andrew Lear
6) 05:38.03333 Bill Ford
7) 05:40.43335 Joshua Madsen
8) 05:42.76666 Steve Lauber
9) 05:46.70001 Greg Harper
10) 05:47.33334 John Baldwin
As you can see, Tracy and Shawn were top contenders last year. I anticipate much of the same for 2009.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chad Bishop said...

oops, had to delete a comment, imagine that. Offending me is one thing, but please refrain from offending others in the comments. They are innocent bystanders, and don't deserve to get caught in the heckling crossfire.

BTW, I really doubt your grandma could ride this 2 mile TT in 5:17:7, but thank her anyway for her support of cycling and here's wishing her a happy 110th b-day.

Anonymous said...

toughen up sally. When I was in Nam for my second tour of duty I got called all sorts of names. It hurts at first but you get use to them. In war there are no innocent bystanders, just casualties. If you can't handle the crossfire, then lift your skirt and grab your balls boys. It's time to get it on.

Colonel Jimmy.

Anonymous said...

For hes a jolly good fellow
For hes a jolly good fellow
for hes a jolly good feloow
And nobody can Deny.
Chad's #1 Chad's#1
WOO HOO
Go buddy Go.
Rock On you are so awesome
Way to win with a time equal to Grandma smithers
I wonder what the best time for the juniors were, 4:26:9 I bet

Anonymous said...

Chad,
I really have to apologize to you. Apparently the 7th graders from my shop class have discovered your blog and are reflecting their 12 year old maturity level in your comment section. I am certain it is them because this is exactly how they talk. They will grow up eventually when they start getting laid, but it sounds like these are the particular kids who won't be getting any tail for atleast another 12 years. Oh they will tell you they are getting the action but we all know they are full of shit.

tater

Anonymous said...

A name like Tater means your a 5th grader what?
Rock on Tater you are the man.

Anonymous said...

Dear tater,

We saw you with that sander and grape jelly.
Stop ruining our fun.


Karl