Friday, February 6, 2009

'Riding Dirty'

Ok... reality is setting in... I am getting way to anxious trying to figure out a way to be in good race shape by the time the spring racing season begins if I don't do a handful of 'training races' in March.

In my desperation, I have officially decided to do at least one of the upcoming 'Dirty Road Races' in Mitchellville, IA. This is a 3 race series (march 7th, 14th, 21st) that is 50 miles in total length, with 30 of those miles on gravel, and 20 miles on the road. I believe, then, that my trusty $600 cyclocross bike is going to get to see some pre-season action, in addition to it's post-season duties.

Now I realize how lucky I had it back in the glory days of DICE cycling and Two Bee Racing, as I could race in eastern Iowa beginning February through March. On the other hand, despite the 2 hour drive, this cyclingupdate.com road race series seems pretty challenging and a perfect training opportunity.

Also of note, I am now a tester for Trek Bicycles. (I have signed an agreement that states I won't disclose details about the products I am testing, so this part of the blog will self-delete in 5 seconds...) My cousin engineers bontrager components, so I get some cool gear from time to time. This also explains why none of my wheels have stickers on them... they are straight from the engineering dept. He has a cool job... when he says he is going for a ride with Steve and Keith... he actually means Steve HED and Keith BONTRAGER. Anyway, it is good motivation to get some outdoor miles in, because he wants me to report back by march 1st.

I am having fun building bikes on TREK's Project One web site... Below is a picture of my 'dream machine' that perfectly matches my team's race kit...

1 comment:

Doug said...
This comment has been removed by the author.