Saturday, January 2, 2010

2010 - Let the blogging begin

Welcome to the new year!  Still a long ways before winter is over, but the days are getting longer and the Iowa Indoor TT season is getting underway.  (Ok, I guess they are technically called 'roller races', but Indoor Time Trials sounds cooler).

I plan on doing 3 or 4 indoor races this year, as preparation for the 2010 spring racing season.  General information can be found on our team website.

Last year, I was able to post the fastest 2 mile race time to date, using the current set-up (5:01.4).  Bikeworld does a good job of keeping track of the fastest times.  Yeah, I am sort of proud about that, but no worries, my ego took a beating as the spring season began.  I wasn't able to translate strong fitness into racing success.  However, last year's disappointments will serve as motivation for this year's schedule.  I am even thinking about 'training my weaknesses' this year, as opposed to focusing on my strengths.  Should be interesting.

I wouldn't mind earning enough points this year to upgrade to cat 2.  I can race as a master in events that have pro/cat 1's, so really wouldn't change my racing schedule much, just make my USAC license a bit more prestigious whenever I bust it out to impress the ladies.  (yeah, I know, busting it out in public usually doesn't go over so well.)  I am only mentioning this, so any reader's can have a story/sub-plot to follow. I currently have 13 points of the 25 needed.  Not sure how Ric Paulos retiring as Iowa USAC rep may effect that.  He seemed pretty generous with the upgrades.  Thanks for his past work, he did a great job.

Check back for midwest race reports, training motivation, and random mental mayhem as I continue to 'chase life' one race at a time.

6 comments:

Doug said...

Ok, I need you to help motivate me to keep getting on the trainer.

Where do you find ladies that are impress by your license?

Chad Bishop said...

I have had luck accidentally dropping my license while in line for popcorn at the movies (produce section of supermarket works well, etc.).

I pretend I don't notice so as to allow the female of interest an opportunity to pick it up and hand it to me. When she hands it to me I pretend to be confused and say "hmm, is that mine... let me make sure the category is listed as '2', oh, why yes it is mine, thank you so much... as you can see I am a very proficient amateur cyclist. Based on this, you should consider joining me for dinner after the movie."

Works for everytime Doug... Of course this technique is off the table for Cat 4/5's, and only marginally effective for cat 3's. Cat 1/2's, on the other hand, have their pick of the litter.

Joe Mann said...

If you took a poll of the ladies how many would know the difference between a Cat 2 and a Cat 4? It would not take much to convince then that you start as a 1 and move your way up to 5. I would think using the shaved legs would be the approach. Remember Chad, if you keep doing what you are doing you will keep getting what you got... This works for ladies and training.

Doug said...

Joe has a point Chad. I don't know about IA, but in MI only 10% of the folks at bike races are ladies.

Now tris, about 30% to 40% of the folks are women, and the tri ladies are cuter/hotter.

...and maybe having a nice light carbon bike would help to back up that cat 4 claim being a good class. Kind of light having a hot rod car...

Just my two cents.

Doug said...

So, what you need Chad is a yellow 2010 V8 Chevrolet Camaro SS with RS appearance package (and rally stripe), and a 2010 Felt DA - Di2 triathlon bike (with Zipp Super-9 Tubular Disc).

THAT will get you attention from the ladies.

Joe Mann said...

Doug, you are right about the Tri Ladies being hot. My wife is one of them. Her decked out on her P2C with disk wheel and aero helmet.... I am one lucky guy. I am glad I don't have to go lokking for ladies. I can focus more time on my training.