Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Arizona 2011 Spring Training Vacation...

Due to the generous hosting offers provided by  TJ Tollakson and Lou Waugaman, I couldn't resist participating in a spring training vacation that occured in Tucson, Arizona, now dubbed the "Winter Training Capital of the US".  I can completely understand why... the weather was great and there were lots of challenging ride and terrain options, not to mention an impressive assortment of regional pro/Cat 1 cyclists to train and race against.  My favorite endurance coach (Coach Troy) also lives here, though I didn't see him out and about...

I hopped out of my rental car and right onto my bike when I arrived Thursday evening. I tore off towards 'Gates Pass' as Paul Deninger gave me directions and thought I could make it by dark. Nope... in my haste I totally got lost and couldn't find my way back to TJ's in the dark... Well, I thought about going into town to rent a room until daylight, but ultimately found my way back by asking directions. Good thing, because the Tucson Bike Classic was the very next day.

Me and Paul chilling out after the Stage 2 Road Race

TJ and Paul getting ready to ride down the road to the Stage 3 Circuit Race
-MT. LEMMON-
After the weekend of racing, Paul was suggesting that he needed to leave soon to keep his marriage in tact.  Well, climbing Mt. Lemmon is usually a part of any Tucson training experience, so Paul, Carson, and I elected to take our tired legs up the peak on Monday, a couple of days earlier than planned.  Ok, this was ill-advised.  Three Iowa guys rolling up a 24 mile long mountain pass with 50mph gusts and a winter storm advisory at the top of the hill.  Of course, I really didn't have all these details as I headed out the door.  Paul suggested I bring a base layer, as I was only wearing a jersey and shorts (hmm, I guess it might get a bit colder at 8000 feet). 

There were a series of 'bad ideas' that were made on this journey.  The first one was the decision to go up the mountain today in the first place. The second one was to ride our bikes to the base.  We went right through town, which was stop and go, with high traffic.  This took us about 90 minutes. Finally we arrived at the base of the mountain.
Part of the mountain range that surrounds the Tucson area. The town of Mt. Lemmon is up there somewhere.

I started off at a comfortable pace, enjoying the fact that I had no idea what I was in for.  Carson was using a power meter to keep his wattage in line, and Paul felt that I was going a bit too fast, so we all three quickly ended up riding up the mountain at our own pace by ourselves.

It was a rather enjoyable ride at first, with lots of breathtaking vistas.  Unfortunately, at about 5,000 feet the winds started to pick up and I began to experience waves of doubt.  At 6,000 feet I had to bust out my arm warmers as it was getting very cold.  I thought that this was all part of the experience, so I kept climbing.  There was a place at the top called the 'Cookie Cabin' and I had promised myself I would make it to the top to get one of their giant cookies. (I did it all for the Cookie).
A plate-sized cookie from the Cabin.

Ok, the wind and cold were practically knocking me off of my bike as I got to the 8000 feet markers and noticed piles of snow along the sides of the road.  "Where was Mt. Lemmon?  Did I go to far?  Why I am decending if I am at the top?  It is freaking cold!"...  I deliberated what to do for a few minutes, when I saw another fearless rider approaching... It was Carson and he looked determined to conquer this mountain.  Well, I was all in now, so I followed Carson until alas we made it to the small town of Mt. Lemmon.  The temperature was 38degrees... Ok, that explains why I was feeling so bewildered.  I wasn't wearing nearly enough gear for these conditions. 

We warmed up by the fire inside the Cookie Cabin as I contemplated my options.  I gingerly chewed on a giant chocalote chip cookie and Dr. Pepper while I thought things through... crap, aside from calling my mom for  a ride (embarassing) we really didn't have any options.  The only way home was back down the mountain.  Are you kidding me?  Ok, there was no choice.  So we walked out into the cold brisk air, as they began to close up early due to the winter storm advisory. 

The Cookie Cabin (except pictured on a nice sunny day... it wasn't nearly as inviting when I saw it)

Going downhill only compounded the wind chill situation.  Oddly enough, there were points when I had to actually pedal just to get my speed up to 16 mph due to the 50mph wind gusts that were making even riding downhill a struggle.  When the wind let up, I could get the bike rolling along at up to 40mph, but I didn't trust my hypothermic mind to keep my balance and depth perception in check so I took it easy.  My whole body was shivering and my teeth were chattering.

Fortunately, the temperature was rebounding quickly, as every minute brought me closer to the base of the mountain, where people were enjoying a spring-like day.  Well, Paul turned around before the summit, for obvious reasons, so he didn't quite get the cookie.  I didn't see anyone else on the way down... Duh, all the locals knew better than to ride their bikes up Mt. Lemmon today.  Going through town on the way home was indeed a 'death march' for me.  I bonked hard and finished the 90 mile day practically walking my bike home.

I felt pretty traumatized Tuesday morning, as we headed out for an early morning group ride that ends up  at Gates Pass.  Once I got warmed up, however, I really enjoyed this ride, and especially enjoyed being able to hold my own up the peak as part of the leading group of finishers.  Later that day we met up with TJ to do a mellow ride... I would suggest that this was on the "road to nowhere" (watch this video and find out where the 'road to nowhere' actually leads... it is quite the climactic revelation).


See, I told you that video had a thrilling climax... Anyway, Wednesday it was time to succumb to the accumulating exhaustion and have a rest day.  I hiked up behind Lou's house and recorded a panorama.


Thursday was one of my favorite rides as we elected NOT to do Mt. Lemmon as originally planned, and rather tried out the Madera Canyon Loop.  My legs felt great after the rest day, and I enjoyed some spirited tempo riding, climbing, and general meandering around as we put in another 100 mile day.

I decided to go up Gates Pass for a solo ride on Friday.  You just don't get climbs like this in Iowa, so I wanted to take advantage of one of my last chances to ride in Arizona.

Saturday morning was the famous 'Saturday Shootout'.  There were well over 150 people that participated in this ride (I guess it peaks at over 200 at times).  There is a 'B' ride that started a bit earlier that added another 75 or so.    It was fun to ride in such a large group.  And this is a training ride filled with mostly Cat 1,2,3's and a few regional pros, so the pace is quick and at times aggressive.  Teammate TJ Tollakson, went to the front with his TT bike and set a brisk tempo.  He is a pro-triathlete, so he takes advantage of this opportunity to have a motivated LT workout.  Lou rocked up one of the King of the Mountain sprints in the top position as usual. He became quite respected down there, as he was always leading the pack at the designated sprint points.
 
Carson, TJ, Lou, Me, and Paul right after Tucson Stage Race.
Well, I had a good vacation and glad that I chose to experience some new things.  I am a stronger rider, not to mention a wiser man.

Next up is Hillsboro Roubaix.  Lou's Blog has a nice preview.

2 comments:

john said...

Chad - good report. What an amazing experience for you and your teammates. Looking forward to what you guys are going to do this season.
John

Carson said...

Sweet recap!! Kill it this weekend man, you have the strength.