Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Expectation of balancing nitrogen and creme eggs

Expectations can be the cause of many mental health problems including stress, anxiety, and depression.  Basically, if you set expectations for a person, event, or situation that don't ultimately pan out, this can create a mildly traumatic emotional response.   Adjusting your expectations can be a great way to improve the quality of your life.  Think about it... if you place really high expectations on yourself (i.e. to win a race), and then don't realize your goal, you will be upset.  However, if your expectation was to simply have a great time, get in some good fitness, and race to your potential; you will have a great chance of meeting your expectation, and subsequently realizing a rewarding outcome.

This concept is used a lot in couples therapy.   Partners who adjust their expectations of the other, often realize a new found release from much of the tension they had been experiencing.  Expect less and recieve more...

Ok, this has been the worst week of training I've had all year.   An unexpected household emergency (no hot water!) threw my schedule into a tail spin.   I am going to use a technique many competitive cyclists use... I am going to call this a rest week.  This is the only way to alleviate my concern that my season is heading in the wrong direction. A rest week implies that I am purposefully allowing my body to recover; maximizing the training effect of several hard weeks of racing/training.

I will have to say, the Tour of Hermann Road Race left me completely wasted, and I needed some rest... maybe all is well.  I attempted one of my indoor Time Trial tests yesterday, however and couldn't complete the effort... Ok, I need a little more than this rest week excuse... Ah hah!  Nitrogen Balance.  I am theorizing that my inadvertant lapse in training this week has taken my body out of it's harmonic chemical balance; due to the fact that I didn't consume as much protein and other key nutrients.

I have been using MaxMuscle's ARM (Anabolic Recovery Matrix) after most of my workouts.  But when I don't work out, I tend not to stick to my nutrition/supplementation plan... MaxMuscle ARM helps support protien synthesis and nitrogen retention.  Ok, so hopefully that helps explain my flat workout yesterday.  I need to make sure that I don't let up on my nutrition plan on days when I don't workout.

Speaking of nutrition, does anyone else have a problem controlling their urge to eat those Cadbury Creme Eggs?  I actually feel like some sort of crack addict whenever I drive by Walgreen's (my drug dealer's house).  Easter is always a rough time for me with respect to my addiction. 

Fortunately, eating just one of those things knocks me on my butt.  I choked down a second one once, it wasn't pretty, and I felt like a slug.  Sometimes I buy two, just to see if I can force my way through, but always end up stopping after one.  Crap, writing this is triggering my cravings... nope... must resist.

2 comments:

Jeff Paul said...

I can relate to exactly what you are talking about in regards to fatigue causing a workout to go sour. A couple months ago I was coming off a really big week of training and attempted a 5x5 test set and I couldn't even hit the first 5 minute period at the desired wattage. I had to abandon the workout and chalk it up to fatigue. I have found the toughest part of being self coached is accepting that rest days and rest weeks are vital to improving fitness. You'll feel great after some rest and then you can begin tearing down again with your newfound strength. Great post!

Chad Bishop said...

Thanks for the insight Jeff... and I did have a better workout this morning... not quite at my previous benchmark, but dang close.

Also, I am planning on hitting up another Wednesday ride in the QC. Most likely this Wednesday... so we should be able to get a good grind going.