Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Soccer Showdown - Iowa City Race Weekend

 
These kids might not look tough; but playing soccer with them
could severely upset your cycling career.
One of the benefits of partaking in the 'lifestyle of a roadie' is that you will be in great shape, generally speaking; not just on the bike.  This can be a problem, however, if you push your body too hard while participating in sports that aren't cycling specific.

So, over Easter, I involved myself in a friendly game of soccer with my relatives. We had a couple of 7 year olds, some middle schoolers, a teen-ager... I guess one of the players was only about 5.  In other words... it was game time!  Similar to my approach to cycling, I went full throttle, trying to be everywhere all at once... starting, stopping, turning, twisting, kicking, etc. 


I ended up getting my butt kicked after throwing down
against today's youth.

Towards the end of this viscious contest of wills, my toes began to ache, so I took my shoes off to reveal blood on each sock from the blisters.  Really?  I kept going sans shoes, as we were down by a point with only a few minutes left before one of my opponent's bed time.   I was covered in sweat by the end of the game. My team didn't end up winning, but I reminded everyone that 'Crazy Uncle Chad doesn't mess around'.

Monday arrives and my legs are in pain... I couldn't even lift them without feeling a stinging soreness.  It baffles me that there are so many muscles in the leg that apparently are unused during the pedal stroke.  Needless to say Monday was a rest day.

Tuesday morning... still sore... crap!  This caused a mild form of depression.  I was thinking about doing Monika's Time Trial in Lone Tree later that day... no way.  I really wasn't even sure about doing the Tuesday Night Ride...  I reluctantly suited up and went on my way.  The first incline re-inforced the fact that my legs were not in good form.  The parts that ached were not even relevant to the pedal stroke, but were still robbing efficiency from my effort while making me feel miseable.

I wasn't thrilled to be feeling that sore at Tuesday's training ride...
a group of five ended up doing a tailwind ride from Lone Tree.
Wednesday... still sore.  Ridiculous.  Ok, maybe backyard soccer is off the table for the rest of the season. 

IOWA CITY WEEKEND
Not sure what to expect this week, but happy to have a chance to race again.  Last year's Iowa City Race weekend went very poorly for me, despite being in great form.  I flipped over my handlebars and hit my head on the wall at the base of the hill... I was a Cat 3 then, so this will be a whole new experience.

The American Equity Elite Racing team will be there in full force, not to mention lots of other Iowa racer including guys from Zealous Racing and Mercy Specialized.   The Pro 1,2 race draws some tough out-of-state competition. Rumor has it that Steve Tilford, Brian Jensen, and Bill Stolte will be driving up from Kansas, as well as strong riders from Kentucky Flyers Cycling/Texas Roadhouse & Bianchi/Grand Performance(Minnesota).  Should be a great weekend of racing.

1 comment:

finn said...

I think that is why I have been slow for a few years...I won't stop playing basketball.