Friday, April 22, 2011

2011 Iowa Cup Announced!

Thankfully, this is NOT the 'Iowa Cup'.
Alas, my training has found direction as the 2011 Iowa Cup race competition has been announced... great!  Thanks to Zealous Racing for putting their efforts to organize this series. From their site:

"In its 6 years of existence, the Iowa Cup competition has really become a part of the fabric of Iowa Cycling. It’s the best points system we have to truly recognize the best road racers in the state in each category."

Hmm, I wonder who the best road racers in Iowa are this year? Which team is going to rise above the rest in the elite team competition? (Last Year's Results)

Here is the schedule:

Iowa City Road Race – 4/30/2011
Old Capitol Criterium – 5/1/2011
Squaw Creek Park Circuit Race – 5/7/2011
Zealous Spring Road Race – 5/14/2011
Iowa State Fair Criterium – 5/15/2011
Snake Alley Criterium – 5/28/2011
Melon City Criterium – 5/29/2011
Rose Festival Criterium - 6/17/2011
Rose Festival Road Race - 6/18/2011
Bicycle, Blues, and BBQ Criterium (State) – 7/9/2011
Bicycle, Blues, and BBQ Road Race – 7/10/2011
Iowa State Road Race Championships - 8/6/2011
East Village Criterium - 8/13/2011

Yeah, I hit it pretty hard to start the 2011 racing season... you may have been thinking "this guy is going to burn out before Memorial Day"... Well, I started to feel that all of the racing/training I did over the winter and early spring may have actually been 'too much', as I was struggling a bit to find motivation.

But, as I thought about it, all that really seems to be going on is a combination of poor weather and lack of racing opportunities.  Last year I had the Scott County Park Road Race (DICE CYCLING) and Eagle Point Criterium (Dubuque Cycling) to round out my April preparations.   To make the 'slump' even more significant, the Iowa City Race Weekend was moved back a week creating an even bigger gap with respect to my calendar.  I am 'itching' to help put together a brand new racing opportunity for Iowa competitors, so maybe I will remember that April could be a good month to target a 2012 bike racing event.

So, no real mystery... racing is the 'fuel' that drives my training.  Without it, I still train, just feel 'odd' while doing it.  The 2011 Iowa Cup will provide me with the direction I was seeking... thanks! I needed that.

No comments: