Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Criterium Racing in the Rain = Cyclocross Racing

Before I turn the page on the cross racing season, I still feel like I need to purge myself of the bad taste that my last race left in my mouth...  I will look to cycling blog guru Steve Tilford for help.  Here is an excerpt from one of his previous entries:

"I used to think that cyclo-x was like time trialing. Or MTB racing. You against the course. Since cross became popular again this past decade, I’ve reaccessed that opinion. It is closer to criterium racing in the rain. You against your fellow competitors, with the course being another element to deal with."


The cobbles were slick throughout most of the 2011 Snake Alley race.
 Criterium racing in the rain??? Crap, no wonder I feel so out of control with respect to my cyclo-cross potential.  Criteriums are my least favorite discipline, especially flat ones with 8 wet corners.  I have actually vowed to DNS any criterium if it is raining.  Just too expensive (too replace the trashed gear) and risky (too replace the trashed skin).  Ok, if I had some great ability in the rain, I would go for it, but wet corners really slow me down. 

As soon as it started sprinkling at the 2011 Snake Alley Crit (master's 30+), for example, my race was practically over. I still finished in the top half of the field, but I just couldn't overcome the challenge the slipperiness added to the course.

When it is raining you really can't 'open it up' with respect to your power and speed, at least I can't.  This is definitely similar to the cross races I have done recently.  It was more about smoothness,  jerky accelerations only wasted energy.  There weren't any long stretches to really leverage certain elements of cycling strength while ramping up the speed.   I am not saying there should be, just saying there weren't.

Am I the only one who doesn't like crit racing?  No way... Tour De France legend Berard Hinault, for example "wasn't a big fan of crits" according to Steve's recent entry.  Ok, I am grasping at straws with that one,  but give me a break... criteriums are the bread and butter of the US bike racing scene, so for me to accept that I simply don't enjoy racing in them does cause me concern.

So, where does this leave me with respect to cross racing?  I will still race cross.  It is a healthy pursuit that does provide me with a rewarding experience for a variety of reasons.  I am glad that I can compare cross racing to criterium racing in the rain, however.  This provides me with insight as to why I always get frustrated with my results when I enter cross races.  Maybe if I stopped focusing on my fitness, and started enjoying the challenge of connecting with the courses and the culture of cyclo-cross I would have more favorable results.  Hmm, I will re-read this entry next September, as that could be the ticket.  I need to stop focusing on what cyclo-cross in NOT, and enjoy everything great that it IS.  Wait a minute, maybe that could also help me at criterium events next year... bonus.

1 comment:

Landon said...

I don't know what to think? I like cross on a bad day better then I like crits on a good day. Does that make me weird?